Interior paint/ Cracking rear sail panels

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 12:40 PM
Question Interior paint/ Cracking rear sail panels

Alrighty, i checked the forums on this and saw that you could paint the interior panels with vinyl paint. Checking out one of the recomended sites: http://www.npdlink.com/modules.php?name=Disclaimer I saw that they had a fairly Large collection. Anyway, I am looking for the same color, and looking at my restoration handbook, says that it is Code 12: Oyster . Does anyone know the closest matching color to this?

Secondly I went to the junkyard and found some rear sail panels and, of course, they are at the beginning stages of getting flaky. If i lightly sanded the ends, is there some kind of recommended enamel or somthing i can spray on to strengthen it?

thanks!

Old 02-22-2009, 02:02 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If the paint/dye is available from NPD, why not just order it from there?
I recently repainted some interior parts on my 79 Vette, which is also Oyster color, but a different code# from yours. Most likely it's the same color, just by a different code based on the model of car.
This is what I got: Interior Spray Dye

Old 02-22-2009, 11:19 PM

Dude! your a lifesaver! i was totally trying to find a color chart to figure it out, but this is perfect! Code 66! The reason i didn't just order it from NPD, was because i'm not sure if its the same color or not (and they didn't have one called "oyster").

Perfect! *is off to order that and some mettalic silver spray paint for his spoiler he found*

The rear sails problem is unanswered. Maybe just multiple layers of dye?

Old 02-22-2009, 11:36 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

By "flaky", is the plastic itself coming apart, or the finish? Have a pic of it?

Old 02-22-2009, 11:44 PM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i order alot of part from npd,paddocks.and there parts come from a bunch of different vendors,with that being said,i done my car int. in carmine red and the parts i got from both of them were carmine but different shades of carmine,but i got alll my paint from npd and it looked the same.when you do the plastic make sure you buy a couple cans of the plastic prep cleaner and make sure you dry all that stuff off before primer,buy the primer from them also its a plastic primer that etches itself to the plastic and its sandable

Old 02-23-2009, 12:03 AM

69: by flaky, i mean that the plastic is getting little crack marks and is becoming brittle, especially along the end edges.

Bowtie: yeah i can see the interior looks awsome! the red is just so... well hot .
Yup, i looked into the primer and prep stuff. Will check out NPD for those as well.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:07 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Here's what the the code 66 Oyster in my Vette looks like. The lighting in the pics make the colors look different, but they match. I repainted the steering wheel, center console, and other misc. stuff.
Name:  SeatDrivers.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  27.3 KB
Name:  DashLeft.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  32.0 KB

Last edited by Camaro 69; 02-23-2009 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:12 AM

Yup I can see it looks like a color difference, but the first pic definatly matches. How do you upload pics? i have some of when i first bought the car i can upload.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:18 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Have your pics hosted on a site, like Photobucket. Copy the pictures "IMG code" from there and paste it here. You need to change the IMG to img in the beginning and end of the code string to make the pics show.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:18 AM

Figured it out. Lighting isn't the greatest.

Attached Thumbnails Interior paint/ Cracking rear sail panels-camaro-1.jpg   Interior paint/ Cracking rear sail panels-jakes-camaro-106.jpg   Interior paint/ Cracking rear sail panels-jakes-camaro-0113.jpg  

Quick Reply: Interior paint/ Cracking rear sail panels