interior help..

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 08:33 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default interior help..

I need to add headliner and new weatherstripping in my 81 camaro...im not sure which headliner to get since there seems to be different kinds.also i dont know if i should get the weatherstripping kit with the chrome bead or not..im not sure what there talking about. can somebody show me a pic of the chrome bead? and how do you put the weatherstripping and headliner on?

Old 10-02-2008, 10:31 PM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: interior help..

You need to be more specific with the information.
Headliners: By saying different kinds, do you mean brand name or material type? Most brands are equal in quality, but in the end you get what you pay for. Materials come in different styles, use the one that matches what was in your car. As far as fit, every one I have installed needed to be trimmed a bit, just take your time and do the cutting LAST.

Weatherstripping: I assume your are referring to the window felts. In a kit there are four pieces with a rubber seal on them, two for each door. One goes inside and one on the outside. The chrome strip you mention could be the outer or inner. Deluxe interiors came with a chrome strip on the inside seal. Some cars also had a chrome bead on the outer seal. I believe that both will fit in either type of interior. The outer strip needs to be screwed or riveted to the door skin. The inner seal is held by wire staples to the upper edge of the door panel.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

well for weatherstripping: i guess its the same as window felts...what was the point of the chrome bead? im thinking about getting this kit, http://www.jegs.com/p/SoffSeal/1017691/10002/-1

how would I put it on? do i just glue the inside and outside one on? but i still have some old weatherstripping on my car, do i just tear the rest off? and is it easy to attach the weatherstripping in the right orientation?

For headliners: yeah i mean different material types. well there isn't a headliner in my car so i dont know exactly which type was in it. ok and do i just glue that to the roof? whats the best way to attach it?

Old 10-03-2008, 09:00 PM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Now I understand, you are talking about a full weatherstrip kit (entire car).
The chrome bead is for appearance only, it is your choice to get it or not.

Door seals are held on with plastic push clips on the edge of the door. The ends have
push clips too but I also use a little urethane to get the position just right. The window
weatherstrip is held in the channel by just pushing it in, the shape locks it into place.
To replace the window felts you need to take the door apart, Instructions come with
the kit.

Go to Classic Industries website and download the Camaro catalog. They have probably the most complete line of parts and are cheaper than Jeg's.
Cars Inc. is also good, but a smaller line of products.

If you don't have the old headliner you need to look in the Classic catalog. They will show you the original type.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:13 PM
3rd Gear Member

yeah the full car weatherstripping...what if the push clips aren't there? im not sure if they are because like i said the w/stripping now is really old and missing in most places...can i just glue it then? ok is it easy to take the door apart? well there about the same for that full w/strip kit but the authentic one is crazy expensive at classic industries..ok and how do i install the headliner? do i glue it or something?

Old 10-05-2008, 09:45 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Hey there, I just recently restored my 78 camaro with all new weatherstripping and I bought mine off ebay motors. Can't really remember the manufacturer but I bought it in three different sets. The roof rail and door stripping was sold together for about 80 bucks. The trunk mold was about 15 bucks,and the felts cost about 90 bucks. I would definately use the plastic clips when installing the door stripping cause I actually had to stretch mine alittle to get it to seat right. Besides you should only need adhesive at each end just to keep the molding clear of your doorjamb. As far as the headliner, some autoparts stores sell select colors and fabric types as long as you have the cardboard material still in tact you should be fine. I would not glue directly to the roof cause it could hold moisture and probably wouldn't last long.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:02 PM
3rd Gear Member

hey oh really?..was it soft seal? what if i dont have the plastic clips? can i just buy them like on classic industries or something? oh i dont have the cardboard material even, when i got my car it didnt have anything but the metal..can i buy the whole assembly with the cardboard and fabric? how else do i attach it to the roof if i dont glue it?

Old 10-06-2008, 10:02 PM
3rd Gear Member

anyone?

Old 10-06-2008, 11:05 PM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Jason,
The plastic clips will come already installed in the door stripping. What 92RS says is true, it will most likely take a little stretch to get a good fit. On the ends you may want to use a little urethane once everything is situated just right. The clips on the ends don't always hold the seal where it should be.
The headliner I am not sure about, the late 70 & 80's may be different than mine.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:17 PM
3rd Gear Member

ok thanks everyone.does anybody have any input on the headliner?

Quick Reply: interior help..