Inherited 70' RS V6, Need some help...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 06:59 PM
Default Inherited 70' RS V6, Need some help...

Hello,

I have just inherited a 1970 RS V6 in puke brown. It it all original and has been sitting in my parents garage for over 20 years. From their recollection, the transmission is bad (auto) and the valves were ticking heavily.

I have been looking on the internet for several weeks looking for information on 1) how i should go about storing the car properly. and 2) trying to figure out what engine/trans combination could be had for cheap that would be a true bolt in affair.

I have had some experience with other foreign made cars. But those swaps usually require all kinds extras. I am trying to find out not only what would be easiest to do, but what would be smart to do.

Of corse, I didn't plan on inheriting this car, so i have no budget for a restore. I would either continue to store it (properly) or may consider throwing a few hundred dollars at an engine/trans that would bolt-in.

So, the reason for my post, i have been googling for weeks and get all kinds of information, but none that really answer my questions or address how to re-store car that has not been stored properly.

If anyone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction with some links, i would be grateful.

Oh, and I don't want to sell it. It was my mother first car she got on her birthday. I am pissed she was not born a year earlier!

Thanks,

Old 10-10-2010, 07:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forum.
If I were in your shoes, I'd look for a 350/th 350 used and ready to drop in. That would just about bolt in, there'd be a couple of mods, but it would definitely give you the most bang for your buck.
As far as storing it, that depends on your location. Wherever you are, don't leave it in grass, that'll rot it out real quick. If you have a closed up location to store it, I would wash it off, especially underneath to make sure there was nothing under there to hold moisture, let it dry for a day or two, and then put it away.
If you're just putting it under a car port I'd still clean it up as best as possible before parking it.
Best of luck

Old 10-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Overdrive Member

I would wash it like joe said and if it was gonna be in the garage lay out a tarp big enough for the car and toss about a million moth ***** around it. Maybe even a few in the cabin all over the place. It will stink like hell but in the long run you'll be happier you did. This will keep the mice from borrowing in the seats and making a home. Then I would jack it up and put all fours on stands. Supporting the frame not the suspension. Then I would take some old sheets or blankets and drape them over it to keep the dust off it. There are no safe bets keeping it outside so I won't offer a cure for that.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:00 PM

thanks for the replies guys, it will be stored an a garage and i will take your advice. it sounds like i should not bother draining or replacing any fluids?

also, if i did go the 350/ th 350 route what would be the "small" things necessary? for example, are we talking cross member or chassis modification? Do you know of any how-to type sites or books for this kind of swap? thanks!

Old 10-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I used to put moth ***** in the 69 for the winter, but the interior stunk bad for half the next summer. Putting Bounce fabric softener sheets in the car are supposed to work the same for keeping mice out, and it smells better. I'd still use moth ***** on the floor though, surrounding the tires.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:15 PM
Overdrive Member

Small block motor mounts and a rad to keep it cool. Thats about it.