Im new, well kinda..

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 11:34 PM
Default Im new, well kinda..

Im not really new but i dont think i really ever posted here. so i have an 81 camaro that i was supposed to be working on with my dad and i wouldn't have had that many questions to ask but i just had all of my parts and my motor dropped off at my house tonight and now im on my own. The car has been sitting in my front yard for a year. It was in my dads yard for 2 years before that. I kept burning valves in the 231 so i got a v8. I still dont know if its a 305 or a 350. Im about to go look for the numbers on the block now. My thing for the past couple years has been motorcycles but since this was my first car i cant sell it and im tired of seeing it sit and rot. Im going to probably have tons of questions about putting the motor in and everything else. I am lucky i live during this time where answers and information is so easy to get. Does anyone know if this or any other forum gets more traffic? (more people to answer questions) Im going to need all the help i can get...

Old 08-08-2012, 11:44 PM

well its a 305...

Old 08-09-2012, 01:06 AM
Overdrive Member

Even the busiest second gen only site won't get you faster answers. I'm a member there to and while the information is usually good. Its not like your texting someone direct for an answer. I knew younger people were impatient now days but chill a little. Ten whole minutes went by.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I think you'll find answers at this forum, and probably people who are more willing to help newcomers to Camaros. Engine swaps are pretty easy if you've got good mechanical skills. It's all just bolt in stuff.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Even the busiest second gen only site won't get you faster answers. I'm a member there to and while the information is usually good. Its not like your texting someone direct for an answer. I knew younger people were impatient now days but chill a little. Ten whole minutes went by.
It took me 10 minutes to go look at the motor that i had in my garage. But yea i am impatient...

Old 08-09-2012, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
I think you'll find answers at this forum, and probably people who are more willing to help newcomers to Camaros. Engine swaps are pretty easy if you've got good mechanical skills. It's all just bolt in stuff.
Thats my problem. My dad helped me take the motor out but now i have an empty engine bay and nothing bolted together and i dont know how it came apart. I guess this is the best way to learn but i could do without all of the trouble that im going to cause myself in the next few months. I am not looking forward to the process but the finished car. I am trying to keep from taking it to someone and have them do it. Id rather learn on my own. At least when its done i can say i did it...

Old 08-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Overdrive Member

Its easy. I know that sounds chitty coming from someone who knows how it goes but...

Really when compared to other cars, Camaros have huge engine bays. lots of room to work. SBC's were designed so that they interchange parts from just about every year. Unlike Furd, where you have to figure out if its a Cleveland, Windsor, modified, FE or what ever else they came up with while scoring drugs down on MLK Blvd in Detroit. Then there is the internet. When most of us were learning things like adjusting valves, we had to find a friend of a friend usually to teach us. Then you had to hope he knew what he was doing. Here you can get multiple tips and tally them up to come up with what must be correct.

Where all cool here and none of us mine helping out someone who is learning. No ego's either. Thats the best part.