Old 02-19-2022, 11:52 AM
Default Identification please. Want airbags, any suggestions. Thank you

Anyone know this suspension? Want to try air bags

Anyone know this suspension? Want to try airbags

Old 02-19-2022, 06:43 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The changes in the second gen Sub frames are subtle. Picking them out based on a picture may be possible by by some that works on subframes every day but for most of us it will take a measuring tape. I suggest looking up the specs on the mount position and measuring what you have.

The repairs done to that frame are not very good. If I planned on driving the car hard I would even say they are concerning. I would be tempted to replace the subframe and if I was to replace it I would find a 75-81 anyways. The changes made to the second gen sub-frame where all improvements. The newer sub frames have better welds, they are made of better metal, they have larger lower control arm bushing and the distance between the steering box and idler arm was increased. GM would only do something like that if they felt it would make a difference to the average person.

Old 02-19-2022, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn
The changes in the second gen Sub frames are subtle. Picking them out based on a picture may be possible by by some that works on subframes every day but for most of us it will take a measuring tape. I suggest looking up the specs on the mount position and measuring what you have.

The repairs done to that frame are not very good. If I planned on driving the car hard I would even say they are concerning. I would be tempted to replace the subframe and if I was to replace it I would find a 75-81 anyways. The changes made to the second gen sub-frame where all improvements. The newer sub frames have better welds, they are made of better metal, they have larger lower control arm bushing and the distance between the steering box and idler arm was increased. GM would only do something like that if they felt it would make a difference to the average person.

I appreciate your evaluation. It’s not being driven hard what so ever. It’s a Sunday coffee kind of cruiser with a bad sounding attitude. I wanted to get a cheap set of bags and don’t really know what I would need being I don’t know exactly what I have. The truck is 98% complete. But like you I must say I am tempted to consider it after hearing your side and doing a little closer inspection

Old 02-19-2022, 09:58 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Maybe post what you want and a budget. Since the shocks go thru the center of the springs that removes a lot of the cheaper air bag system. You can get drop spindles and lowering spring for less than a bag system.
RideTech - ShockWave 1970-81 Camaro, Firebird and 75-79 Chevy Nova Front, HQ Series (performanceonline.com) Plus you would need a compressor and a control unit.

Did you want to go up or down? Your current springs are raised up with a spacer. Those spacers were considered a bad idea 30 years ago. New spring and a small riser in the spring pocket would add 2-3 inches to the height.
1970-81 Chevy Camaro 2" Drop Spindles (performanceonline.com)
1967-1981 Camaro Front Coil Spring Spacer (rickscamaros.com)

I would be tempted to do the 2 inch drop and replace all the moving parts if you want to go lower you could try 1" drop springs.
Hey if you have the budget go for what you want but that front end needs work, don't skimp on safety and building a solid trunk. I had a teach that use to say build it like your mom or wife was going to be driving it. You never know in an emergency they maybe.

Old 02-20-2022, 12:40 AM

I appreciate your response, as far as budget it’s not that much of a concern, but it seems I may have more structural integrity issues I should address before even considering throwing bags on it. I thought it was a good thing being clipped and was hoping to just upgrade the components that would accommodate/upgrade the current parts. Tubulars and those type of upgrades. I’m a welder fabricator and I mess with cars but I’m new to the possible configurations and combination setups out there with what I have. I just want to lay out and cruise. I been told it’s an older clipp but thought it was okay to just cruise. The back half I’m going to run some deep reverse lips so I got all that figured out design wise but I’m trynna be sure I figure out the front before turning any bolts at all. Thanks again for the response.