i hate brake lines!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 05:26 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default i hate brake lines!!

well i tried for like an hour to install the damn brake line into the wheel cylinder and tried loosening up the wheel cylinder and it still wouldn't screw in. I tried holding back the line so that the screw didn't stick out past the screw and then i tried pushing the brake line through the screw and it didn't work either. I was getting so frustrated, i stopped trying for today. anybody know why it's not screwing in?

Old 11-23-2010, 05:40 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

1.) The line isn't lined up perfectly (may be bent at an angle) and the threads aren't catching.
2.) You're trying to install a metric line into an SAE wheel cylinder.
3.) You're trying to install an SAE line into a metric wheel cylinder.
4.) 1 & 2, or 1&3
5.) Is it a new wheel cylinder? If so, did you remove the bright red plastic plug?

Old 11-23-2010, 05:58 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
1.) The line isn't lined up perfectly (may be bent at an angle) and the threads aren't catching.
2.) You're trying to install a metric line into an SAE wheel cylinder.
3.) You're trying to install an SAE line into a metric wheel cylinder.
4.) 1 & 2, or 1&3
5.) Is it a new wheel cylinder? If so, did you remove the bright red plastic plug?
how could i tell if the new wheel cylinders that i got are metric or SAE? and yeah i did remove the red plugs :P lol

Old 11-23-2010, 06:35 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The wheel cylinder should be the right one, or it wouldn't have fit your car. I think you may just not be lined up just right, it can be tricky when working with stiff lines especially if it's in a hard to reach spot. Is that a new line too, or the old one?

Old 11-23-2010, 08:23 PM
3rd Gear Member

The wheel cylinder should be the right one, or it wouldn't have fit your car. I think you may just not be lined up just right, it can be tricky when working with stiff lines especially if it's in a hard to reach spot. Is that a new line too, or the old one?
well couldn't it be the same looking cylinder but just with metric threads. I just got them at shucks today and they are for an 81 camaro. it's the old line

Old 11-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I would take the old and new wheel cylinders back to Shucks and compare them by trying a brake line fitting on each one, unless you have both SAE and Metric lines laying around at home. That way, you'll know what you're playing with. You may have a mis-matched setup there.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:54 AM
3rd Gear Member

well i got the wheel cylinders put in. i tried for another 30min to attach the brake line to the wheel cylinder with the cylinder not bolted but then i gave up because it wasn't working and just disconnected the line from the t-fitting and attached the cylinder to the line and thread the brake line through the hole in the backing plate.
I also bleed the brakes but when they were just about out of air, one of the wheel cylinder boots would pop out. is that because i'm over bleeding them or something?

Old 11-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Are you bleeding with the brake shoes and drums in place? If not, you're over-extending the movement of the wheel cylinders.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:39 PM
3rd Gear Member

Are you bleeding with the brake shoes and drums in place? If not, you're over-extending the movement of the wheel cylinders.
yeah not having the drums on was the problem. I bled both of the rears until i didn't see any air but when i test drove my car, the pedal was still mushy and wasn't that firm..wonder why

Old 11-26-2010, 09:30 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

If they're still mushy you haven't got all the air out yet. Make sure you're doing the bleed procedure right. Need to pump them up and hold the pedal while the bleeds are opened. Then close it before releasing the pedal. Start at the closest wheel to the master and work your way along until you reach the fathest wheel. Usually left front first, then RF, LR, and finally RR. Be sure to keep the master full while doing it, or you'll suck more air in!

Quick Reply: i hate brake lines!!