how can i get a more acurate millage on the car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 01:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Default how can i get a more acurate millage on the car?

so the oddometer reads 37000 miles on the car, but i've always believed that it is 137000 if not 200K, anyways ive all the original paper work from the car and some other things done to the car since 1996, the owners just keep a good record, and according to it the car had 12000 miles back in 98, meaning the car has only run 25000 miles since then,
there is no rust on the car in just about anyplace, at least i havent found any, i've had the car picked up on a shopt and look under the car for a long time and after removing layers of grease i found solid shiny metal, the trunk is also really solid just dirty, and no rust ont the fenders or outside body, anyways, what are the chances that the car only 37k miles? from your experiance what would you guys say, and i have to add that everything on the car is original, exept for the paint.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:45 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: how can i get a more acurate millage on the car?

What did the title say when you bought it?

Old 12-23-2008, 12:35 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah thats the thing it doesn't say anything... it is just blank and it doesn't have a reason, i guess someone lost it along the way and got a new title but they didnt put the mileage. add huh?

Old 12-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

No mileage on the title isn't odd, it depends on your state. Here in IL, they don't bother putting mileage on older cars, they don't even ask when transferring. And I don't know what guidelines they follow as far as a cut-off year.
Your car could have 37k, 137k, or 237k for all you know. Without the "extra digit" on the odometer, there's no way of really knowing. That's probably why some states don't see having mileage on the title as important. Newer cars have the extra digit, or a digital readout, so it's not so easy to pass a 137k mile car off as having only 37k miles.
How does your car drive? Nice and tight like it has low miles, or sloppy like a high mileage car?
EDIT: One thing you can do is contact your secretary of State and see if you can get a title history of your car. Maybe one in the past had the mileage listed. Some states won't give you a title history any more though, due to "privacy" issues.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:11 PM
1st Gear Member

i guess yeah, well i'm in CA, LA, but yeah i was just saying that cuz it does have a space for the mileage but its blank. well the car itslef drives strong, after reading someones tred well i can do burn outs easily the car itself feels strong but agian there are some 130k newer generation camaros that run strong to so idk, all that i can say is the condition on the car is really good for its age, no body work needed at all, as far as ive checked might have missesed something tho. the only thing that i found worked out were the shocks and the springs besides that nothing really.