How is the body attached to the frame?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 11:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default How is the body attached to the frame?

Hey whats up? I'm completely restoring my 80 z28. my dad went out and bought a sandblaster and we want to hit alot of the frame and paint it. I was just wondering whether the body is welded to the frame, or if its bolted. Stupid question, but I've never had to deal with it before and I figured this would be my best shot haha thanks guys.

Old 09-29-2006, 12:03 AM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: How is the body attached to the frame?

front stub has 8 body bolts.the rear frame is welded to the body.hope that helps you out.

Old 09-29-2006, 12:50 AM
4th Gear Member

Yup^^. Also, and you might already know this, but do not use that sandblaster on any of the body panels, it will warp them and they will never be straight again.

Old 09-29-2006, 12:55 AM
3rd Gear Member

To do it right, Take every single piece off that car before You get it blasted, including the window, interior, every single piece of trim, etc. Leave absolutely nothing on it. Have it Media blasted ( plastic ). It's what the pro's use and it's amazing how great it works.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:02 AM
In the Staging Lanes

yeah I'm staying away from the body panels but thanks. I would media blast but I'm not really going all out, I just got the car towed home yesterday after its been sitting for over a year, and while we had it on the truck I noticed the underbody had a lot of surface rust and I wanna blast all of that off while its not terrible. I don't wanna spend too much time on that part of the project, I'm mainly trying to get the interior together before winter, but I figured if I'm going to be blasting the rust off I might as well paint it up and protect it and make it look a little better while I'm at it. I'm just doing like the rear end, the axel, driveshaft..

Old 09-29-2006, 01:09 AM
3rd Gear Member

OK, enjoy Your project.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:59 AM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you can also get it soda blasted.you can drive the car there and wait inside while they blast it then drive away,thats how safe it is.i took a bunch of panels over ther and they done quick and done a damn fine job,every piece down to the metal.the soda residue leaves a film on the panels to keep them from rusting up

Old 09-29-2006, 02:08 AM
In the Staging Lanes

soda blasting huh? New to me...well say down the line I did want to strip the body down to get it repainted...what do you think it would run me to soda blast the entire thing? is it expensive?

Old 09-29-2006, 02:46 AM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i had 2 doors,2 fenders,a front and rear bumper cover,trunk lid and a hood done for right at 400.00.i think he said he could do the whole car for about 700.00.he gets all the paint off ,nothing but bare metal when you get it back.he can do plastic and not mess it up.he done the front and rear bumper covers ,got all the paint off and didnt scratch the plastic.he even done the fiberglass air scoop on the trunk lid and didnt mess it up.does a good job.the stuff looks like baking soda when they pour it out of the bag.he can hold it in one spot for as long as he wants and it wont mess up the surface.

Old 09-29-2006, 06:29 AM
3rd Gear Member

Bowtieguy
Where are You from. I've never heard of soda blasting but it sounds great.

Quick Reply: How is the body attached to the frame?