Help! No start!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 06:33 PM
Default Help! No start!

New to the forum, looking for help. 78 Camaro cranking over just fine, but will not start. We had VERY old gas in it. Siphoned most of the gas out, put seafoam in and fresh premium gas, also used a ton of starter fluid, no luck. (Tried 15+ times so thinking I cleared bad gas out?) Where the line is from fuel pump saw a mediocre amount of fuel splashing up. Tried putting pedal to floor and pumping as well. 1 year since last start. Bells is her name, and I must save her or my hubby will make me get rid of her! Give it to me simple guys, as this is my first project car. Thanks so much for your time and help!

Old 08-02-2015, 01:45 AM
Tech Droid

Bunch of reasons why an engine won't start besides bad gas. You could start by looking at these things.
Make sure you are getting a good spark.
Does the engine start with the starting fluid?
Choke working properly?
May want to replace fuel filter, and fuel filter in carb inlet (if it has one)
Fuel system and/or carb could be crudded up and not allowing enough fuel to pass.
Bad fuel pump.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:40 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Since you've tried starting fluid, I'd rule out fuel as a issue for now. If it had spark, then even a bad batch of gas wouldn't stop it from firing for a few seconds. It really sounds like it isn't getting any spark, so pull a plug wire and check that by putting a screwdriver in the end of the wire, and holding the shank of the screwdriver about 3/8" from a good ground.
If the engine doesn't give a spark, then check to see if the coil has 12v. power at the distributor cap. If it has power, then you've got either a bad coil, cap, or rotor. If the plug wires are good, I'd start with a new cap and rotor. I'd also take my coil and cap along to a chain store like Autozone, or others, who can check the coil to see if it's also bad or good.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:05 PM
4th Gear Member

AS BB427 suggested, if no start on starting fluid, other issues.
Since a '78, check power plug to HEI distributor labeled BATT.
The plug may have fallen out.
You could put a test light o the plug and turn ignition switch to IGN and check to see if test light, or meter if used shows power.
No power then maybe a blown fuse or mis-adjusted ign switch.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:59 AM

Okay, will start with these issues, thank you for all the suggestions. Getting ready to pop the hood and get her running. Will likely be posting more questions throughout the day.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:44 AM
Default Strange wire

Question, have a short green wire coming out of the front passenger side of radiator, small black plug... (tried to upload picture but don't have time to figure out how.) Any guesses as to what is might be? And headed to the autopart's store for some diagnostic tools, any suggests on what you might consider a must have?

Old 08-05-2015, 04:09 PM

Spark good. Won't lie...took me forever to figure out the multi tester. All spark plugs are new. No loose cables at distributor...now what? Fuel, spark, oxygen...how do I check that?

Old 08-05-2015, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Since you've tried starting fluid, I'd rule out fuel as a issue for now. If it had spark, then even a bad batch of gas wouldn't stop it from firing for a few seconds. It really sounds like it isn't getting any spark, so pull a plug wire and check that by putting a screwdriver in the end of the wire, and holding the shank of the screwdriver about 3/8" from a good ground.
If the engine doesn't give a spark, then check to see if the coil has 12v. power at the distributor cap. If it has power, then you've got either a bad coil, cap, or rotor. If the plug wires are good, I'd start with a new cap and rotor. I'd also take my coil and cap along to a chain store like Autozone, or others, who can check the coil to see if it's also bad or good.
How do I check the coil for power?

Old 08-05-2015, 05:06 PM

Sorry if you guys feel like you are talking to a moron, you are. My dad was smart enough to teach me some of the basics when I was very young, but he died early. I've forgotten most of it, and had to think twice about doing so much as removing the battery cables, afraid I'd be shocked. Stick with me here, I beg you.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:08 PM

Fuel pump looks old and ****ty...when I said a mediocre amount of fuel was splashing up into the fuel filter, I meant on a good turn...I could price it out?

Quick Reply: Help! No start!