Help With Dash Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 12:05 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Pull the **** off the wiper switch, and there should be a couple screws that hold it into the dash panel. Did you pull the **** off the headlight switch? If you do, then you can remove the nut underneath. The other option is to unplug the harness from the back of the switches and just take the switches out with the panel.
Got it! Quite simple actually.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Great! Did you just unplug them?

Old 02-07-2010, 11:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Great! Did you just unplug them?
No the light switch has a nut where it meets the cluster. Just needed to keep turning it to unscrew it from the back. That allowed me to get the bolt to the wiper switch.

Just pissed now because I noticed the dash cluster is broke.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

You can probably fix it if there's no missing pieces. Mine had a corner that was cracked and fell apart when it came out. I welded it from behind with a hot glue gun and some epoxy to hold it. Have to really look to see it from the front side, and if I wanted to recover the wood grain with new wood grain adhesive it would totally disappear.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

You can probably fix it if there's no missing pieces. Mine had a corner that was cracked and fell apart when it came out. I welded it from behind with a hot glue gun and some epoxy to hold it. Have to really look to see it from the front side, and if I wanted to recover the wood grain with new wood grain adhesive it would totally disappear.
It's the instrument cluster case and all 4 off the screw brackets have been broken off. The last bracket that was barely holding it on was stuck to the dash pad. Tried to use epoxy glue to fix but it was so brittle it was impossible. I will just order new one so I know what I have.

I do have a question for you. Should I replace the circuit board with a new one or continue using the original one? The instrument panel all works except for the clock. What do you think?

Old 02-09-2010, 05:38 PM
3rd Gear Member

I think I've seen the printed circuitboards on the back of the clusters for around 40 - 50 bucks.

You can also drop the entire steering column a good 12 inches or so by removing two nuts right under the dash. They're pretty big so you shouldn't miss them. It will help with removal of the dash a great deal. You'll have to remove the lower dash first with the AC controls and ashtray.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I guess it depends on how much you trust the old ckt. board and how much you enjoy tearing the dash apart. If I had the money I'd replace it, cause if I didn't it would probably fail within minutes after I got it all back together! That's my luck anyway.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I guess it depends on how much you trust the old ckt. board and how much you enjoy tearing the dash apart. If I had the money I'd replace it, cause if I didn't it would probably fail within minutes after I got it all back together! That's my luck anyway.
I agree!

Old 02-10-2010, 10:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

New question on replacing the circuit board. There are two of them to choose from that are confusing me.

There is one that is with warning lamps. What does that mean? I have all the gauges (speedometer, tach, clock, lights, wipers & lighter) with the fasten seat belt and brake warning light on the dash and in dash cluster. Is that what it means for warning lamps?

The other circuit board is with the gauge package and doesn't say anything about warning lamps.

Does it matter which one I get? Can anyone help?

Old 02-11-2010, 08:15 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Dustinho
New question on replacing the circuit board. There are two of them to choose from that are confusing me.

There is one that is with warning lamps. What does that mean? I have all the gauges (speedometer, tach, clock, lights, wipers & lighter) with the fasten seat belt and brake warning light on the dash and in dash cluster. Is that what it means for warning lamps?

The other circuit board is with the gauge package and doesn't say anything about warning lamps.

Does it matter which one I get? Can anyone help?
You don't want the one with warning lamps! That's for the Camaros that didn't have gauges, so they just had warning lamps.

Quick Reply: Help With Dash Replacement