Help With Dash Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 11:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Help With Dash Replacement

I will be replacing my dash pad this weekend on my 77 and would like to know how daunting the task may be? When pulling out the gauges, do they simply unplug from the back or is there going to be a lot of wires for me to figure out what goes where?

How easy is replacing the clips in the dash?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
-D

Old 02-01-2010, 11:49 PM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 02-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Everything plugs in, and it's pretty straight forward where it goes. You'll need to pull the wiper and headlight switches, so be sure to remove the battery cable first! The headlight switch has a release on the bottom of the switch to pull the **** and shaft. Just pull it out to the on posisition, then push the release in and pull it free of the switch.
You can pull the screws from the instrument cluster and the speedo cable from the back. Then it should allow it to come out far enough to access the various plug in connectors. After the instrument panel is out you can remove all the various screws and pull the dash pad loose from the clips. The clips are bolted in, so you can remove or replace them.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Banned
Location: Raised in Tilton NH now residing in Kings Mountain KY

I can tell you from experience it's a much easier job with the seats out.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Pablo63
But where do you sit while you're workng then?

Old 02-02-2010, 10:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Everything plugs in, and it's pretty straight forward where it goes. You'll need to pull the wiper and headlight switches, so be sure to remove the battery cable first! The headlight switch has a release on the bottom of the switch to pull the **** and shaft. Just pull it out to the on posisition, then push the release in and pull it free of the switch.
You can pull the screws from the instrument cluster and the speedo cable from the back. Then it should allow it to come out far enough to access the various plug in connectors. After the instrument panel is out you can remove all the various screws and pull the dash pad loose from the clips. The clips are bolted in, so you can remove or replace them.
Excellent thanks!

Old 02-02-2010, 10:37 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Pablo63
Will not touch the seats but will be pulling the steering wheel and replacing it while I am at it.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Pulling the wheel first will also make it easier to access everything!
I'm planning on pulling my dash insert and pad later this spring too. I need to repair my dashpad and I'm contemplating moving my gauges into a custom built cluster inside at that time. (maybe!)

Old 02-06-2010, 06:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
I am having a a hell of time trying to pull out the back of the light switch and wiper switch from the instrument panel. Any suggestions?

Old 02-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Pull the **** off the wiper switch, and there should be a couple screws that hold it into the dash panel. Did you pull the **** off the headlight switch? If you do, then you can remove the nut underneath. The other option is to unplug the harness from the back of the switches and just take the switches out with the panel.

Quick Reply: Help With Dash Replacement