Headlight and seat question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 01:57 AM
August 2012 Ride of the Month
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Headlight and seat question

Two questions re: my '72 Z28:

1) I love my seats, but I want to protect them and they get hot as hell/make me sweat in the summer. So I figured some nice seat covers would be a good way to go. I want something that looks good and is reasonably easy to remove such that when I want to show my car I can take them off. Here's a picture of the interior as it is currently...

Name:  ed148289.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  182.4 KB

Any ideas/suggestions on where to look, what to get, or any other options?

2) Since she has been rebuilt, my Z28 is a bit of a hybrid between old an new. As such I thought it would be fun to play around with some HIDs or other more modern (i.e. brighter) headlights. I will keep and save my current headlights and don't want to modify them because I will put them back on for shows and such or for simply when I want the car to look a little more old school/original.

Is there any one who makes replica headlights that can be modifiied? Or more modern headlights that can be adapted to fit a '72? Or does anyone have any other suggestions/ideas? This just sounded like a fun project to me.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:07 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by chuckles
Two questions re: my '72 Z28:

1) I love my seats, but I want to protect them and they get hot as hell/make me sweat in the summer. So I figured some nice seat covers would be a good way to go. I want something that looks good and is reasonably easy to remove such that when I want to show my car I can take them off. Here's a picture of the interior as it is currently...

Any ideas/suggestions on where to look, what to get, or any other options?

2) Since she has been rebuilt, my Z28 is a bit of a hybrid between old an new. As such I thought it would be fun to play around with some HIDs or other more modern (i.e. brighter) headlights. I will keep and save my current headlights and don't want to modify them because I will put them back on for shows and such or for simply when I want the car to look a little more old school/original.

Is there any one who makes replica headlights that can be modifiied? Or more modern headlights that can be adapted to fit a '72? Or does anyone have any other suggestions/ideas? This just sounded like a fun project to me.
Not much available that could be quickly put on and off for your seat covers. Most will not look great either. Lot of guys used to use the fake lamb wool seat covers, and they go on/off quickly, and are comfortable, but look pretty funky.
Nothing special about the stock headlights. They're typical 7" round sealed beams that were/are on millions of cars, so they are easy to replace if you want modern halogen sealed beams. They're going to cost you about $50 each for halogen replacements. I'd probably toss the old lamps, rather than store them, unless they're really new. Chances are if you ever changed back you'd just want to put new sealed beams in anyway. Halogens wont change the look, they'll simply give you a lot more light when you turn them on.
Just don't go to those halo lamps please!