Good news, and f@$k*^g terrible news.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 04:14 PM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

just keep your head up, the tranny is not that big of prob. you'll have to fix it to get a better price on a sale anyway.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:22 PM
Overdrive Member

If you were closer I'd give you the 350 in my 78.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:52 PM
3rd Gear Member

yeah too bad you didn't live closer to me too. i would just give you my th350 since im going to get a new one anyway in a few months

Old 07-13-2010, 09:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Well I talked to my father, actually he talked and I listened. There is a local guy that is very good at rebuilding automatic transmissions. He does most of the local street, strip and all out drag car transmissions. As well as heavy duty vehicle such as tow and plow trucks, there was a sheriff's car there that he's rebuilding the transmission for.

The machinist that did the machine work on my block, the guy that just completely rebuilt my rear end two weeks ago, the guy that is going to paint my car and pretty much everyone I've asked recommends that I have this guy rebuild it for me.

He said it'll cost $500 to $600 plus the valve body to do a complete rebuild. He doesn't use shift kits, he uses valve bodies set up for the application. In my case, it'll be an automatic/manual valve body. It's going to work just like a regular automatic when it's in drive, but I'll be able to shift it manually when ever I want. It will hold first gear as long as I want. My detent/kick down will work to just the way it does now. I have an extra TH350 in case he needs any hard parts. Everything will be checked and if it isn't within spec, it either gets fixed or replaced. It'll probably be somewhere around $800 when it's done.

My dad was VERY adamant about taking it to this guy and having him rebuild it. It's going to cost a lot, but this guy is one of the best around. My dad go's out of town a lot in the fall and winter. While he's gone I mow my parents lawn, take out their trash, snow blow there driveway and do everything else he or my mom needs done. He said one hand washes the other. I always help them so he'll take care of the transmission. He doesn't want me to get rid of the car. He said my son (8), him and I have done to much work to get rid of it. He wouldn't take no for an answer. The green machine is gonna live to fight another day!

Old 07-13-2010, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member

On yeah, forgot to mention, we dropped it off this afternoon!

Old 07-13-2010, 09:10 PM
2nd Gear member

Sounds like you have a very cool,and smart dad.Not to mention the money it will take to rebuild the tranny is still far less than what you could find another good running reliable car for.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by B.M.
Sounds like you have a very cool,and smart dad.Not to mention the money it will take to rebuild the tranny is still far less than what you could find another good running reliable car for.
Yeah, he's the best!

Old 07-13-2010, 09:31 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yeah, some dads can be cool!
Good deal, and I'm sure you're gonna like the auto/manual valve body.
Mine is full manual, and it's nice to be able to keep it in any gear you want, when you want.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Yeah, some dads can be cool!
Good deal, and I'm sure you're gonna like the auto/manual valve body.
Mine is full manual, and it's nice to be able to keep it in any gear you want, when you want.
He has a rebuilt TH350 with a full manual valve body that's ready to go. I could have brought it home with me. I thought about it but I really want to keep it fully automatic and still be able to shift it when I want.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:26 AM
Overdrive Member

See happy ending. Things just have a way of working them selves out. IMHO Thats why when I get in a pinch I don't dwell on it.

Quick Reply: Good news, and f@$k*^g terrible news.