Good news, and f@$k*^g terrible news.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 09:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Good news, and f@$k*^g terrible news.

The good news-
I got to drive my car with my rebuilt rear end. I went with a Yukon Duragrip posi unit and 3.42 gears. I drove it enough to day to start break in the gears. I could definitely feel the difference.

The f@$k*^g terrible news-
My TH350 is shot. I bought it off a member off a member from another site and supposedly it was rebuilt 1000 miles ago. It worked great when it was cold. Once it heats up to operating temperature it gives me nothing but trouble. When I shift it manually it up shifts to the next gear and then down shifts very quick then up shifts into the gear I just shifted it to. Tonight my son and I were driving it around taking it easy to break in the new rear end gears. We were driving down the road in drive at 50 MPH at 2000 RPM. Then all the sudden the RPM's jumped up to 3000 RPM and the car starting slowing down. the transmission was slipping bad. I got it to drive again so we could get it home. We got on a highway onramp, I down shifted into 2nd gear and got on it a little bit to gain speed. I smelt burnt transmission fluid and look in my review mirror and saw nothing but white smoke. We had to slow down and limp home.

I'm f*@k@D. I'm out of money and more then likely I'm going to have to start parting the car out. All the hard work I did and I did what I NEVER do, buy a used component like a transmission. I never do that for just this very reason. My son (8), father and I have done a lot of work on this car, all for not!

Old 07-12-2010, 09:45 PM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM

Find out where it was rebuilt and take it to them. A failure at 1000 miles after a rebuild should be covered under some type of warranty

Old 07-12-2010, 09:51 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You sure you didn't blow out a cooling line, or the radiator? Serious fluid loss would make the trans slip. And if it's blowing on the engine or exhaust, you'll leave a burnt smoke trail. Did the trans leave a mess like there was a leak?

Old 07-12-2010, 11:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by nj85z28
Find out where it was rebuilt and take it to them. A failure at 1000 miles after a rebuild should be covered under some type of warranty
The guy I bought it from said he bought it at Auto Zone. He didn't have the paper work when I bought it. It did have a sticker on it that looked pretty new. The transmission was very clean. I dropped the pan to install a B&M Trans Pak shift kit. I've installed a half dozen or so over the years and never had any trouble with any of them. Everything looked nice and clean in the valve body area.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
You sure you didn't blow out a cooling line, or the radiator? Serious fluid loss would make the trans slip. And if it's blowing on the engine or exhaust, you'll leave a burnt smoke trail. Did the trans leave a mess like there was a leak?
No mess that I saw. It was getting bark when my son and I got home. I'm going to look at it in the morning.

Why would it only give me trouble when the engine reaches close to 200* or so. Under those temps. it works fine. Shifts nice a firm, no slipping at all. It'll chirp the tires on the 1st to 2nd gear shift. Until it gets up to operating temp. them nothing but trouble.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:27 AM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM

Originally Posted by NYH1
No mess that I saw. It was getting bark when my son and I got home. I'm going to look at it in the morning.

Why would it only give me trouble when the engine reaches close to 200* or so. Under those temps. it works fine. Shifts nice a firm, no slipping at all. It'll chirp the tires on the 1st to 2nd gear shift. Until it gets up to operating temp. them nothing but trouble.

Are you absolutely sure you have enough of the proper type ATF in this thing? How are you checking it?

Old 07-13-2010, 06:42 AM
Overdrive Member

Wow it definitly still has life if you can chirp tires. If the clutches were toast they wouldn't work then not work. I would go back to basics. Like ATF that was meantioned, is the cooler pluged, is it full, ect. I wouldn't part my car over a tranny. If I were low on funds, and belive me its common, I would use a junkyard tranny in a heartbeat. The shift kit will swap too. A well used th350 can be had for 50 bucks sometimes. It won't take a beating but you can cruise until money becomes available.

I was in this boat with my pick up, it sat for three years with a roached tranny. I ended up trading it to my dad and he went and bought my car back for the guy I sold it to 2yrs earlier. All of that got me interested in Camaros again and now I'm here talking with you guys. Is it your DD?

Old 07-13-2010, 12:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by nj85z28
Are you absolutely sure you have enough of the proper type ATF in this thing? How are you checking it?
I'm using Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF. It's to be used in vehicles that require Dexron, Dexron II and Dexron III as well as other vehicles.

I check it warm, on lever ground in park like my shop manual and dip stick says.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Wow it definitly still has life if you can chirp tires. If the clutches were toast they wouldn't work then not work. I would go back to basics. Like ATF that was meantioned, is the cooler pluged, is it full, ect. I wouldn't part my car over a tranny. If I were low on funds, and belive me its common, I would use a junkyard tranny in a heartbeat. The shift kit will swap too. A well used th350 can be had for 50 bucks sometimes. It won't take a beating but you can cruise until money becomes available.

I was in this boat with my pick up, it sat for three years with a roached tranny. I ended up trading it to my dad and he went and bought my car back for the guy I sold it to 2yrs earlier. All of that got me interested in Camaros again and now I'm here talking with you guys. Is it your DD?
The tranny cooler is brand new. I made sure to spy water and then brake cleaner through it before installing it. It's fine. If I can't get this thing figured out soon, it'll be no good to me and I might as well part it out. I'm half crippled at 35 because of a back injury at work, who oh buy the way will be closing and I'll be out of a job in the next 6 months to a year. The house is already gone, the car might as well follow.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Overdrive Member

Sorry to hear that.

Quick Reply: Good news, and f@$k*^g terrible news.