Getting rid of vacuum on a 350

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 12:53 PM
Default Getting rid of vacuum on a 350

First off, I'll start by revealing my intrusions on the camaro forum. I've got a 1978 Pontiac Firebird Formula, but the firebird forums have been relatively dormant recently, so now I'm here. I'm rebuilding the 350 that is original to the car, and I really want to do away with all the vacuum crap and switch to a mechanical setup. My question is, what all do I need to consider when getting rid of the vacuum setup on my motor? Obviously I'll be switching carbs, but what details do I need to consider? Definitely going to get rid of all the smog pump garbage, but what systems need to be redone? Also, am I gonna need a new wiring harness? I basically just want to know all the details about switching a small block chevy to mechanical from vacuum.
Thanks

Old 05-16-2017, 08:52 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You are looking at it wrong. You need to look at each system and decide if you want it or not.

Honestly its to much to type in a thread but here goes some.

Smog pump stuff just need plugged up. It only does anything the first few minutes the car is running anyway. At one point I remember a sticker on the air pump that said "please run air pump for the first thousand miles before removing the belt" Or something like that.

EGR valve (get rid or it, yes it might get 1 MPG more but its not worth the dirt you are putting into your intake)

Evap or Charcoal fuel tank ventilation. (you can get rid of it but you still need a vent for the tank. This is probably most of you vacuum hoses.)

PVC. You can get rid of that but it will need to be replaced with some type of crank case ventilation or oil reclaiming system. I always kept the stock PVC system on all the non race engines I did.)

Timing advance, This is not an emission items. This gives you car better street manors, if you are building any kind of race then it can go or you can switch to a MSD box/distributer and get rid of vacuum and centrifugal advanced all together.

Most of the vacuum hose you see run the above systems. They may run the vacuum thought a thermo switch to turn it on or off as the car gets hose. There is also a purge valve but that is part of the evap system.

There is a vacuum hose on the carb itself that run to a choke pull off. That should be left alone as it is not an emission item anymore then the choke it. You really don't need to replace your carb. Just buy some nice caps. If you had a 81 then the carb and distributer would be trash bound.

Last edited by Gorn; 05-16-2017 at 08:59 PM.