Getting ready to work on old (very old) exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 11:12 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Getting ready to work on old (very old) exhaust

Hey,

Now I am tackling my exhaust system. Well, the problem is that every time I drive the car I can smell the fumes in the passenger compartment. I have planned to take the entire exhaust down in order to remove as much rust as possible and to be able to check it out completely. This is the first time I will ever do anything like this. I plan to do it next weekend because I have Army Reserve Drill this weekend. I will eventually replace the entire thing but for now I have to patch as much as possible.

Is there anything I should know or be ready to tackle?
How long should I expect to spend doing it?
I have an apartment and I may need to leave the car without the exhaust overnight. Any problems with this?

I want to do something where I take as much apart as it is possible without messing anything up. I would also like to take off the manifold to clean it. Something like this:

Here is how my car looks right now:

Old 01-09-2009, 12:23 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr
Default RE: Getting ready to work on old (very old) exhaust

Shouldnt be any problems with leaving it over night, unless you complex has some rule against it.
I cant see the car, my work wont let me view pix... boo. BUt I recomend getting some PB blaster and spray it on the bolts and let it sit for a while, this will loosen anything rusted on.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Good luck patching that one, chances are you have pinholes rusted through the full length of the pipes. Sorry, just being honest, as I have dealt with a bunch of old rusty exhaust systems. everything will be rusted together more than you can imagine, and the clamps usually crimp the ends together a little. expect to use a sawzall or cutoff wheel to get it apart. even if you don't, you'll damage the ends of the pipes getting them apart and it'll never go back together well enough to seal off. Your best bet is to get a complete aftermarket exhaust system that bolts on (I assume you are not equipped with a welder and tools/experience to make a complete system yourself). You will spend a lot less time replacing than repairing. And yes, you're right about removing the manifolds to clean up, just be careful not to break any studs off in the heads. BlasterPB will be your friend, use lots and let it soak. Replace your gaskets before you put the manifolds back on. Replace the donut gaskets in the flange between the manifolds and the exhaust pipe held together with 2 bolts each. You will break at least one of these bolts, might as well replace them all. Even if you leave the manifolds off overnight or a little longer, you're fine as long as you keep the hood closed, don't let rain water in the engine. But don't be scared, it's not technically difficult, just a bit of work. Make sure you know what you're getting into, but you can definitely do it yourself with a little elbow grease. Or just take it to a muffler shop and be prepared to spend a bit more $$

Old 01-12-2009, 10:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Chances are the fumes you smell are either from the manifold gaskets or donut gaskets, you might try replacing these before reworking the entire system. Try the manifold gaskets first, you're less likely to break a bolt/stud on them.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:05 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: brnyrdanimal

Chances are the fumes you smell are either from the manifold gaskets or donut gaskets, you might try replacing these before reworking the entire system. Try the manifold gaskets first, you're less likely to break a bolt/stud on them.
Whoa, thanks for all your help. Also, NOOOOOO, I don't want to spend money [sm=smiley21.gif] I will try to cheap it out but I am planning to take my time. I will probably cover the manifold holes (whatever you call them) somehow to make sure nothing gets in there. I start going at it tomorrow but I have decided to take it easy since I have some time still. I may just go ahead and buy the whole exhaust system (minus the manifolds which I think are fine).

Does anyone have any suggestions about where to get the best prices?