Getting 4 speed out of park

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 06:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Getting 4 speed out of park

Is there a trick to getting a 70 4 speed out of park or reverse. The car has been sitting for a very long time. It it possible it has surface rusted itself making if difficult ? Key unlocks steering. can turn the wheel car hasn't started.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:38 PM
2nd Gear member

You can always get under the car and disconnect the linkage .and then see if it the linkage and or the transmission itself,

Old 09-09-2019, 08:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes

That is going to be my last resort. I'm very nervous..... I just committed to a 70 Camaro SS L-34 396. I didn't start the car and couldn't get it out of gear. The guy said it has been sitting since 95..ish. His brother bought it new. His brother passed in 93 and he has had the car since. He has the invoice and protect o plate. I really hope it is what I think it is. It does have rust issues too thou. Fingers crossed.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:06 PM
4th Gear Member

Well there is no "park" on a 4 speed stick so I assume it just doesn't want to come out of whatever gear it was parked in.
Without the engine running there may be a load against the gear,rocking the car back and forth might take the load off so you can pop it out of gear.
If it's been sitting that long I wouldn't try to start the motor without a lot of preparation,at the very least lubing the cylinders with some oil through the spark plugs and spinning it over by hand after a good soak time.
Does the clutch feel like it's releasing? Will the car roll with the clutch pedal depressed?

Old 09-09-2019, 09:54 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

With a manual transmission, reverse gear is "park". The shifting mechanism has what's called a backdrive linkage (reverse lockout). The linkage from the shifter is connected to a bellcrank, with a vertical rod connected to a lever at the base of the steering column. The shifter HAS to be in reverse in order to be able to turn off the ignition all the way and remove the key. This is assuming the original factory linkage setup is still in tact, which by your description, sounds like it is. Sounds like something within the linkage is preventing the shifter from moving. Or the collar on the steering column, just below where the key tumbler is, could be stuck and isn't rotating (this is what that lever at the base of the column does). The rotation of that collar is also what works your reverse lights.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Camaro 69, that is the same thought I had. I use to have a 70RS 307, 3-speed and that is how I remembered it too. I did try hand rotating the steering column (I remember it had a 1/4 turn, could be wrong, it has been a while) The linkage is still connected, I was reaching down and grabbing it next to the steering column in the engine compartment. didn't seem to want to budge. Going back tomorrow to jack up the car and tinker with it. I'm not going to start it. The guy told me he put a battery and started it 15 - 20 years ago and hear a noise on the top end and shut it down quickly (10 seconds). I am already planning on pulling the engine anyways. The man said he was told that it could be piston slap from the wrist pin. Either way. I saw the block stamp behind the alternator Surprised no one had looked at it. It was covered in a good 1/8" of grim. T0513CTX I'm a little concerned I didn't see more numbers. I thought part of the VIN would be stamped there. I did read on one of the websites that sometimes the pad above the timing cover was stamped? I really am not too familiar with that spot. Any thing suggestions C69? I could throw a few pics up if you like. Still had cast exhaust. I kind of took that as 'not too crazily messed with'

Old 09-09-2019, 10:57 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Bblock
I saw the block stamp behind the alternator Surprised no one had looked at it. It was covered in a good 1/8" of grim. T0513CTX
I looked in the LIME Book, The Complete Chevrolet V8 Engine Code Pocket Guide and found the CTX designation in 1970 was a 402 cubic inch 350 HP, 4B with manual trans available in a Camaro, Chevelle and Nova. It was also used in later years, so I would suggest checking the block casting date to make sure it coincides. Should be somewhere before May 13, 1970 if original to the car.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:35 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Where on the block would that be?

Old 09-10-2019, 09:04 AM
2nd Gear member

Not overly familiar with the big block, but I believe it is on the top left rear of the block bell housing flange. The build date on the trim would also help, should be 05B or 05C I think depending where the first day of the month fell that year.
These are suppose to the casting numbers used with this engine. I haven't researched big blocks enough to know how correct this information is, but generally it is.

402/350HP Block Casting #3969854 (2 Bolt)

Head Casting #3964290

Intake Casting #3955287 (Cast Iron)

Exhaust Manifold Casting #

RH – 3909879

LH – 3916178

Waterpump Casting #

3931065 (Early)

3969811 (Late)

Old 09-10-2019, 09:12 AM
2nd Gear member

To move the car with it stuck in gear do as I suggested ,pull the the drive shaft and or have the car towed from the rear.

Quick Reply: Getting 4 speed out of park