futuristic blast from the past

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 12:05 AM
2nd Gear member

ooo i like those, and that idea, how well would a push-button work in a standard shift? i suppose as long as it is in nuetral i shouldnt have a problem, i was thinking about a remote start but it looks to be more trouble than its worth with a manual car, expecially one that doesnt have an e-break =X

Old 12-15-2009, 12:37 AM
2nd Gear member

lol yeah well the normal safety stuff applys to make you have to start your car. u still have to turn the key to on. but u bypass the start function in your ignition and instead you push button start your car so if ur manual is in a gear it wont start cause the safety switch and stuff. and just be careful my automatic doesn't have a safety switch so i am able to start the car in any gear for my automatic. scared me once. also used it to get up a hill. i was just crowing it and had to try and get it to start and it peaked over. that was luck. but those mods i mentioned would be as much as hunting downt he right ground wire or hot wire and soldering a 2 way toggle in. the led lights when there is current though them so they wont always be on.

im sure if you google how to wire in push button start u will find some info on what igniton wire to splice into. it was pretty common when ignitons went bad a 90cent door bell was cheaper than a new ignition.

im going to do that with my power antenna in the firebird when i get freezing fog and stuff its hard on it so i will be able to kill the hot to it and leave it down on bad mornings.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:41 AM
2nd Gear member
Old 12-15-2009, 01:43 AM
2nd Gear member

well my dad had an old Pinto that he had a light switch wired into it bc he broke his key off in the 'on position' of the ignition, so he would flick the switch till it started then turn it off once it did, and to turn the car off he would stall lol, for some reason the key wouldnt turn back again even with the other half in it.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I must be getting really old, cause this just doesn't sound right.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:59 PM
2nd Gear member
Wink

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
I must be getting really old, cause this just doesn't sound right.
lol why not? the entire interior has to go anyway bc it is sun-rotted to hell, and i wont actually integrate anything with the car, i could always swap it back once i realise how annoying all of those blinking LEDs will be at night driving lol i just want to try 2 build something that will be cheaper than the expensive as anything interiors for sale online and still look pretty cool lol like jet-fighter meets KITT