futuristic blast from the past

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 01:43 PM
2nd Gear member
Wink futuristic blast from the past

alright, so i have always been a big fan of the flashy electro-gadgets of the 80's and such, and was wondering, how hard would it be to do, well pretty much a Kitt set up to a 2nd gen camaro? does the computer come into play at all? i am not very good with electronics but my dad is an electrition and my friend wires computers so colectively i can see this working. i wouldnt use a kitt molded set but try to make my own unique to a camaro, OR does anyone have any ideas of some cool gadgets to throw into my car? i was thinking HUD digital dashboard and such, i know i am missing alot of things, help me out guys lol

Old 12-14-2009, 07:11 PM
2nd Gear member

what exactly are u asking. you want retro? like using cable driven spedos and stuff like that or. u want to make ur 78 more into today. you can do alot now i just need to know what your asking.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:34 PM
2nd Gear member

lol i want it retrofuturistic lol i know it sounds weird but it is a real term, like in the 1980's when they had alot of those digital dashpanels in production cars and weird gadgets, i want that stuff in my car, it looks futuristic, but really just from the 80's, i like the look of all that stuff, but i want like a modern climate controle unit and small lcd screens and what not, some of the digital panels have a readout of what is wrong with the car, do i need a computer for that? or could i make it run just off of the things like the oil pressure sensor and blinker burnt out thing that this car already has? it has ZERO computers in it though. in all reality idk what im asking lol i just watched Knight Rider and said "i want that in my car" lol what awesome gadgets does a car need? i want full digital dash, lcd screen, heads up display, and what else do i need? talking car alarm? lol thats really all im asking for is gadget ideas for my car which are almost practical lol

Old 12-14-2009, 07:41 PM
2nd Gear member

uhm.... lol have u seen a 1989 corvette dash? like that? i always thought the odd sweep of the dash was cool. and you can find tons of tachs like that. uhm about the back to the future stuff.... i dont know to be honest.... u could try and hack a OBD2 computer and see if u can get it to display on your computer with the right cable hookups though the obd2 port.... then run that though a laptop...... to a small lcd screen u mounted... and use a digital dyno program to display the gauges.?

or skip the OBD and use some dyno diagnosis stuff like the o2 sensor hookup to the computer and all that so u can visibly see whats going on with ur o2 output and it reads alot. and just run that to a small lcd screen in like one of those small laptops u see now..

just some ideas.. or u just get some digital gauges that look like the old corvettes and have that kinda be cool.

Last edited by brownstone101; 12-14-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:52 PM
2nd Gear member

i dont have any o2 sensors lol i dont think at least, i didnt see any wires plugged into my exhaust last time i was down there, lol most of the crap im asking is probably impossible, although while looking for dashboards i came across this http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd167.htm its a dash for my car from Dakota Digital lol, although i think my favorite dash is the 80's Nissan 300zx digital dash, but i dont think that is easily compatible

Old 12-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Or go the easy way and just buy the new gauge cluster with all the hi tech stuff already in there!
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...=cat/cat59.htm
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd167.htm

Last edited by 1971BB427; 12-14-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:14 PM

hmmm i see what your talking about. I guess the closest you could get to something like the knight rider deal would be the corvette or a digital dash from another vehicle. As for other ideas of "futurism?" you could make a dash add on or sorts with blinking lights and buttons that dont necessarily do anything. Like a mock up dash.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:23 PM
2nd Gear member

you can add a o2 sensor to anything. u can actually add a o2 gauge to monitor your O2 levels live its like a 130$ kit. but yeah the corvette dash wont fit i think but the idea is there.

ps.....on a side note... i got my 79 camaro to get away from the digital age of cars lol. i still listen to cassettes in a old Walkman and i got a Jimmy Hendrix record i listen to at my girlfriends house.. sometimes i hate my 98 firebird because of how much tech is in it. yes its turn key easy and reliable but theres something about havening a fun time figuring out a damn points style distributer but i dont know call me wired but i like it. and i lissen to lots of 80s music. too bad i was born in 91. im in the wrong decade. but i do appreciate it got a 360 and like to game and build computers too so yeah lol my camaro is my old tech fix and in my eyes is a cool thing. now the gauges in mine are tired but i still want cable driven spedo and all that stuff i love.

Last edited by brownstone101; 12-14-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:11 PM
2nd Gear member

lol i know what you're saying, i dont want to add computers to this car, i just want it to look like i have lol, no sensors or anything, just blinking lights and random buttons and switches lol, i like the "if it doesnt work, u have no spark or gas" type of thing instead of trouble shooting a maze of sensors and computer jargon, and as for cable driven speedo, i like it, but i cannot get mine to work properly lol at first it was WWAAYYYY off, after i dropped the tranny to change the clutch and all of that, i played with the gear on the cable and it works better now, but is still between 7-13 mph depending on how fast you are going, but i love the analog reliabiltiy, but i also love the tech look, im trying to combine the 2 lol

Old 12-14-2009, 11:44 PM
2nd Gear member

ahh have you seen back to the future? lol

uhm lets see. at my local shop they got this big plate of switches with leds in them. what you could do is line them up in a spot that is visible and wire your lights into them. so u got to pull the **** then flip the switches that have colored LEDs in them up to make your lights come on. also u can do what we did with an old 55 ford pickup we had. use a push button to start it... just dont use a door bell like we did but use a real good automotive push button lol. make sure its lighted. then run a dash like we showed yeah. and wire in some snake lights with a switch to some trim panels of your choosing so u can turn them on.

theres some ideas

these are really freaking bright and look solid probably look cool at night to pull the light **** out and your buddys like why lights not come on then flip two of those down and they come on. that be cool in my book lol

also wire a good toggle into your ignition wire so u have to set it to on to start your car. if someone breaks into your car and is in a hurry they might not be able to go anywhere unless they hot wire it but the toggle idea would maybe keep friends from driven it also

Last edited by brownstone101; 12-14-2009 at 11:50 PM.

Quick Reply: futuristic blast from the past