Front suspension revamp assistance!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 06:20 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Question Front suspension revamp assistance!

So, i am having my UCA and LCAs along with my subframe blasted and powdercoated, but i want to replace all the body mount and control arm bushing. I was thinking of going to Global West Suspension of Energy Suspension for all the red polyurethane bushings, but i have read in other places that they can squeak over time, and that the black are impregnated with graphite and don't speak. Is this true? Which would be better for a street application? I also thought about the Del-A-Lum bushings they offer, but havent really heard much about those. Then what about the shafts, keep stock ones, buy new ones, and would the offset shafts be a good investment? Does the offset shaft offer enough addition camber adjustment to justify having/needing them? Just need your input guys, this is my first build so I'm learning as i go. I also plan to use the Energy Suspension insert for the frame mounts as well, if they are any good. Thanks.

TJ

Global West Suspension - American Muscle Car Parts

http://energysuspension.com/index.htm

Old 01-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Heard the same stories about polyurethane bushings squeaking, but not any specific color. I just liked the black better because they were more stock appearing, and didn't jump out under there.
I went Energy Suspension Sytem and got the complete kit. I also bbought an extra 8oz. cup of suspension grease, as I really put it on thick everywhere. The real point where squeaks occur is the pivot points on upper and lower control arms. ESS was very reasonably priced at Summit, and has a good reputation too. I thoroughly covered the ends of the bushings before installing the washers and nuts on UCA, then on the LCA I greased up the bushings, and also the inside of the frame where the bushings attach.
Greased up the shafts well prior to installing bushings too. I used stock shafts, and I can't see any reason to go aftermarket or offset shafts as long as you're reusing the same U and LCA's.
The grease that comes with the kit isn't enough to even do the control arms, let alone everything else, and I think that's why people get squeaks because they try to do it with what comes in the kit. More is better in this case.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes the Polly bushings do squeak and need to be lubed often and can even squeak after being lubed. The black graphite impregnated Polly is a "self" lubed bushing and is much stiffer then stock bushings. As to offset bolts I can't direct you on that one, I have never worked with those parts so someone else who has will need to step up. If it was me I would replace as many bolts and hardware as I can anytime I have parts to replace. You make the call there

Old 01-12-2012, 11:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I would like to go with the red b/c i know it would like nice under there with all the other work im doing for the resto. Not sure which way i will go, but either way, i will definitely be ordering extra lube so i can lube them very, very well. Thanks for the input guys.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:05 PM
2nd Gear member

I.m painting my car red so I went with the red and lolts of lube. The bushings were easy. The springs were a challenge. LOL

Attached Thumbnails Front suspension revamp assistance!-004.jpg   Front suspension revamp assistance!-003.jpg  
Old 01-12-2012, 03:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I had the same idea to go with the red dust cap and probably red bushings as well, suspension black along with subframe, and steering is all silver Rustoleum Hammered paint.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Overdrive Member

I know there are a ton of opinions on this but.. Poly should not be used in a rotational position. Like control arms. Delrin is a much better material. Both the guys I use for my parts swear by it.

Last edited by 77nomad; 01-22-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Go figure, i just ordered the poly red ones from Summit and then i see your post. I think they will do fine. If not, i can always return before install or replace them later by getting the tubular UCAs i guess. That was a plan for later anyways.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I heard the stories about poly squeaks, but then talked to those who had them and got mixed reviews. The people who got squeaks were those who intalled with grease in the kit, and didn't go overboard greasing them. Those who properly lubed them had no squeaks.
If it was a huge issue they wouldn't still be the biggest seller of all the various styles of bushings.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I kind of figured that, and i ordered an additional tube of grease so i can lube them up properly.

Quick Reply: Front suspension revamp assistance!