Evil Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 01:37 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by 1975camaro
there wasnt anything wrong with it except its only a 2 barrel carb. I would think that upgrading to a 4 would be better right. I do have a factory 4 barrel though as well which was given to me from the previous owner. I really wouldnt see any performance gains your thinking? with a newer one
Oh crap, a 2 barrel, really? lol..... Throw that paper weight out then! I thought you had a 4 barrel. In that case, oh boy are you going to wake up that engine. For ease of installation and tuning, I think you'd be better off with an Edelbrock carb. Since you have plans for a better flowing exhaust (which you'll want), a 650 cfm would be a good size.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:39 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ok, and yeah i havent tested the 4 barrel he gave me either and id rather not to find out its messed up or something. I think ill get the high rise intake due to the stuff im going to do to it down the road though. thanks for the help

Old 08-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I also assumed you had a 4 barrel already. As for what engine etc. you had mentioned in your intro; don't take this wrong, but I can't remember what anybody has in one post a week or more ago. It's easier for us to help if the poster gives all the details in a new post. We could do a search and go back to look at all the OP other posts, but that's a lot of time and effort.
Going from a 2 brl. to a 4 brl. carb and intake will really make a difference, and even more so once you have a free flowing exhaust system with headers and true duals. It will also give you better mileage once you've got it all set up and properly tuned. 8mpg is pitiful; I get more than that with my 427 in my '71, and also with my 327 with two 450 Holleys in my '46 Austin.
Don't use that stock 4 brl. if it's sat long. It will be dried up internally and need a kit to make it work right.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:07 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default ok i wont

but another question i have to ask is would I even be able to put a high rise intake on this car, im afraid it wouldnt clear the factory hood. So perhaps I should just get the air gap one, but which one would you get man?

My friend was mentioning while on the phone heck if your going to make me do that much work we should just throw a cam in there too but i dont know if i want to go that far or not lol. Actually since its only at 75k miles the motor that is, i think im probably just going to drive it after I do these modifications for a while. Perhaps when it gets up around 120 or 130k i might consider a full engine reboot or perhaps dropping even a crate engine in it. What do you think?

Old 08-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
For your intake manifold, I'm leaning towards the Edelbrock Air Gap. It's a good performing manifold, and it's design helps to keep engine heat away from the carb, which helps performance.
The Performer Air Gap is less than 3/4" taller than the conventional low rise Performer manifold. Do some measuring, but you should be able to make it up (if you had to) with a drop base air cleaner.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I would go for a good exhaust system with headers before going to a bigger cam. The bigger cam wont do much good with stock exhausts and stock heads, but the exhaust system will really hep the new intake and carb work.
I doubt that most intakes will have any issues with the drop base air cleaner. The 2nd gen engines sit pretty low in the bay with a smallblock engine.
If you want to save some bucks I'd look for a good used aftermarket intake on Craigslist. I see them all the time for $50 or less.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:30 AM
In the Staging Lanes

The other problem is that air gap one we are looking at doesnt have provisions it says for a choke, dont I want a choke?

Also the other one i was looking at doesnt have provisions for air conditioning which i do have but needs recharging, wouldnt this mean the AC would have to go then? This one would work but looks really basic Edelbrock 21011 Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifolds for Chevy

and heres the carb i was looking at
Edelbrock 1805 Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS Carburetors

the air gap to my knowledge wont allow for ac though correct?

Old 08-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The other problem is that air gap one we are looking at doesnt have provisions it says for a choke, dont I want a choke?
It doesn't have provisions for the old style "manifold heat" type choke, where the element would be bolted to the intake with a rod to the choke mechanism. Modern carburetors have a self-contained heating element/coil type choke. No provisions on the manifold isn't an issue. As for the A/C, brackets can be made, possibly bought in the aftermarket. You're not the first one to want to make this combo work.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:46 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ok well will you show me which air gap intake you would get then, cause ive lost track of what is what now lol and im the one who is supposed to be doing the looking.

Is that basic 650cfm edelbrock good too?

Old 08-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

ok well will you show me which air gap intake you would get then, cause ive lost track of what is what now lol and im the one who is supposed to be doing the looking.
Is that basic 650cfm edelbrock good too?
Go back to post #4 in this thread where you put the intake links to Jegs. Those are all Air Gap intakes. The first one is the natural finish, second is durashine coating, the third is a polished finish. Pick the one that floats your boat and fits your budget. Oh, and looking at your engine pictures, I see no A/C bracket that attaches to the intake manifold. My take is that must be a "blanket statement" from Edelbrock, since that manifold can be put on a multitude of vehicles that have different accessory mount applications.

Quick Reply: Evil Bolt