Engine dies on idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 12:48 AM
Default Engine dies on idle

So i was driving my '74 camaro home, it idled fine at the beginning. I cruised on the highway for lik 100 ish miles. I made a stop at a light and it decided to die!!! I tried starting but it wouldnt start. It moved, but it wouldnt turn over. The starter was going though. I pushed it over to the side and called AAA...... haha... got it towed home..
It started up just fine later that day. Kinda felt like it was going to stall out when im idling. So i just ahve to give it some gas before it does bog out. Break + gas... haha

So it has an oil leak, its not an awful leak, but it is a leak... and the oil burns.
It starts up just great. No knocking. Is it a timing problem? Belts? Fuel delivery? Carb?

and what about when it wouldnt start... overheated?

Any idea what is going on here??

thanks all.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:57 AM
2nd Gear member

Do you know when the engine had its last tune up?
It could be some dirt or grime made its way into the airways of the carb. Did you get a chance to check the temp gauge? Your going to haft to do some trouble shooting on your own.
Sorry I cant help you any more.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:04 AM

I need to do a tune up anyways, it needs it badly. I looked at the temp gauge but i think its broken or its always overheated all the time even when its not on. The heat, rpm, and gas are definitly broken. The speedo is accurate but really jumpy. i think the speedo is the only gauge that works correctly come to think of it.

you know what? i think the carb is sucking in the oil from the leak! i saw some wetness in the intake for the carb... I wonder what it will take to correct that...

Old 10-15-2012, 01:15 AM

I just looked and yeah, theres oil all over the carbs intake. And i found the culprit for the oil leak too. Theres two tubes that might have gotten cut. One end has oil dripping out he other nothing. So i think thats my oil leak... problem solved... ill find a way to fix it tomorrow!

Old 10-15-2012, 01:16 AM
2nd Gear member

My dash was the same way. I ran lines for analog temp and oil.
The carb sucking oil in would make it run like crap and maby even smoke. Id remove the breather and see how things look inside. Try pulling your spark plugs one at a time to see if they have carbon and/or oil build up near the electrode. Good luck!

Edit. Ok then. Thats great to hear.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by oldman9
My dash was the same way. I ran lines for analog temp and oil.
The carb sucking oil in would make it run like crap and maby even smoke. Id remove the breather and see how things look inside. Try pulling your spark plugs one at a time to see if they have carbon and/or oil build up near the electrode. Good luck!

Edit. Ok then. Thats great to hear.
It smokes. Ill check those spark plugs tomorrow.
If there was carbon build up i would need new plugs right? Or would i need to clean out the rest of the cylinder somehow too?

Old 10-15-2012, 08:03 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The engine smokes, and you're getting oil into the breather tube to the air cleaner, and/or the PCV line to the carb. Due to the engine being worn out, you have blow-by issues (excessive crankcase pressure from the worn piston rings). Can't say that's the cause for your stalling, but I kinda doubt it unless your spark plugs are caked up that badly. You might want to look into installing a "catch can" to route your PCV line through that before it goes to the carb. That will help prevent the carb from getting "oiled". Then put a breather cap on your other valve cover and get rid of the problematic breather tube to the air cleaner.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 10-15-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:42 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

The engine will certainly smoke if it's sucking oil into the carb! Need to figure out if it's sucking oil in due to excessive blowby, or some other issue. Once you get the oil issue fixed you need to do a complete tuneup, and get a spray can of carb cleaner to douse the inside of the carb with. I usually get the engine running and then hold the throttle open at 2500 rpm's or so. With the engine at high rpm I spray the inlet of the carb thoruoghly with something like "Carb Medic" until it starts to stall. Just repeat the process until it's clean or your can is empty.
Then do a complete tuneup to get things running smoothly.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:55 AM

Just as an update!
I fixed the leak (it was a problem with some breather gasket or something), and i will replace gaskets soon
No oil was getting into the carb (which is excellent)
I put in a nice new Duralast goldtop battery ($140 bucks... jeez)
And now im on my way to getting a new alternator and ill do many other tune ups as well in the next few weeks.