Engine Dedcision

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 11:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Engine Dedcision

I have an 80 z28 with a mystery motor in it. Ive been told its a 350 but i cant get the the casting number on the back to verify. I have the opertunity to purchase a 350 with 83,000 miles on it from a 79 z28 confirmed. it was taken out to be replaced with a 383 stroker adn everything checks out with it. hes also willing to throw in all his extra parts he has.... a few trim panels and all becasue he just sold the camaro with thet 383 in it.

My question to you is... Do I keep this mystery motor( it has original orange block and does not knock at all runs great just needs a tune up and gaskets) or do i purchase this drop in and ready to go 350 from a 79 for only $300 (he originally wanted $550 but everyone keeps not showing up when they say they will)

oh and i need help with the decision not the dedcision

Old 10-11-2010, 12:05 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I would still want to know what engine I had before dumping it. It would be a pisser if you later found out that what you have now is better. Check out the links below. You can more find out what the engine came out of from the numbers in front.
http://www.chevy-camaro.com/chevy-ca...oding-help.asp
http://www.chevy-camaro.com/chevy-ca...gine-codes.asp

Old 10-11-2010, 01:06 AM
1st Gear Member

I would say get the 350 for the heck of it just in case you happen to blow up your mystery motor or you can turn around and make money on the 350

Old 10-11-2010, 07:30 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if its a good motor and for that price buy it and find a spot for it in the garage.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:25 AM
In the Staging Lanes

yea i tried to decode it from the numbers from behind the alt. but they are worn away cant read them. and i believe that orange block 350s were from pre 75 cars and this is an 80. so i just dont know what to do cause i can regasket mine and do tune up timing chain ect. for around $400 or buy the one for $300 and drop it in for like ~$100

Old 10-11-2010, 09:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Buy the one for sell and keep both motors. Could end up being one of the best decisions you've ever made

Old 10-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Overdrive Member

Honestly if you put the new motor in it only makes sense to do gaskets an oil pump and timing chain. Cheap insurance. I wouldn't do head gaskets, just the ones that can leak oil and be a pain to do while there in the car. My vote buy it. Figure it out later, and run the other one. Toss what ever you need at the one in your car, but a good back up is well a good back up. Even so, I have sold many a motor when the budget gets tight. I'm sure you could find some one to give you 500 for it.

Oh yeah my motor is black. What year does that make it.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Honestly if you put the new motor in it only makes sense to do gaskets an oil pump and timing chain. Cheap insurance. I wouldn't do head gaskets, just the ones that can leak oil and be a pain to do while there in the car. My vote buy it. Figure it out later, and run the other one. Toss what ever you need at the one in your car, but a good back up is well a good back up. Even so, I have sold many a motor when the budget gets tight. I'm sure you could find some one to give you 500 for it.

What he said!!!

Old 10-12-2010, 12:00 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ok i think i decided that im going to just rebuild mine and just run it to see how it is because it doesnt knock or anything ans starts up perfectly everytime even after like 3 weeks of sitting. so im just going to do

plugs, wires, gaskets, timing chain, water pump, air cleaner, mounts, and clean her out good. anything other suggestions. i can just have this done for $300 total including the pull out and put in and parts. i figure its the same and this one will have alot replaced so might as well go that route

Old 10-12-2010, 12:05 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 77nomad

From what i have read and been told that chevy used orange block from 67 up to about 75 and then from 76 to 85 it was a dark blue almost black. but from what ive seen sometimes this little rule is off but if the rule is ture my 80 shouldnt have come with a orange block

Quick Reply: Engine Dedcision