Electric fuel pump mounting location?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 09:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Electric fuel pump mounting location?

I just picked up a Holley Blue electric fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator. Where would be the best place to mount it? The fuel system is stock right now but I plan on switching to a combination of 3/8" hard line and braided flexible line with -6 an fittings. Thanks for the help!

Old 07-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Keeping the stock tank too when you switch lines and pumps? If so, then the best place is inside the rear frame rails, and mounted in rubber to isolate the noise. Best to be same height or lower than the tank. Usually requires a plate on the side to drop the pump low enough.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Val. I'm planning on keeping the stock tank. What kind of filter(s) do you recommend?

Old 07-30-2012, 07:33 AM
2nd Gear member

i have a holley electric pump mounted just in front of my stock fuel tank, the regulator and filter are up on the firewall.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:34 AM
2nd Gear member

But now that i think about it, someone on here told me that certain regulations may restrict the mounting of the reg and filter on the wall.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:32 AM
Overdrive Member

You can come off one of the stock exhaust mounts with a plate to drop the pump below the tank. Remember the pick up SHOULD be lower than the fuel level. The Holley Blue is a pusher not a puller, so it needs gravity to help prime it. I have see dozens too high but that can't be good for them. There isn't a ton of room for sure. A prefilter of some sort is recommended by Holley to pervent junk from killing the pump. Then a finer filter to clean the fuel before the carb.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:06 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I run a Summit brand 10 micron pre filter, and a NAPA metal filter near the engine.
Here's my filter/pump setup on the gasser:
Name:  DSCF3355.jpg
Views: 3666
Size:  64.0 KB

My Camaro uses a mechanical pump, and just the filter after it.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone for the help. I had seen the setup on the gasser and will probably go with the same filter if I have room. I like that you can change the cartridge easily. I don't want it right out in the open like that but I'll have to work with the room I have. I'm smoothing the firewall as I have a vintage air setup and will have plenty of flat area for the regulator and an MSD box, When I go to car shows, I take a lot of pictures of the engine bay. I wish I could pictures of the under side too. If anyone has pictures of their setup I'd like to see them. Thanks again.

Last edited by exlimey; 07-31-2012 at 04:29 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:19 AM
Overdrive Member

Can I make a suggestion. The NHRA rule book doesn't allow regulators on the firewall. The reason is if you explode the flywheel/flex plate it can cut the fuel line. I know your not building a race car. BUT after i read that I have never mounted on on the firewall.

In the 60's flywheel explosions were common due to the rpm they were turning. Here in the modern day I have seen at least three. I can hunt up a pic from my local track where a Dodge pick up has the flywheel imbedding in the windshield. That cut the tranny lines and started a fire.

My routing is the same as stock. The fuel line runs up the frame rail blocked from the engine side then over the top once past the line of the flywheel. A plate under the carb to mount the regulator is a good choice. Just tryin to help. Oh nyeah get the Summit filter, its the same as the frame filter. I have the same one Val has.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:06 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

My regulator for the gasser and the Camaro are both on the frame up front. I use regulators on everything (even mechanical pumps) as I've found that pressures can get too high with either type pump. I don't like my pressure at the carb to be over 5 lbs. Never had any problems with floats or needles with 5 lb. pressure setting.

Quick Reply: Electric fuel pump mounting location?