Electric fan

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 04:35 PM
Default Electric fan

Does anyone know a good electric fan than i can use to replace the stock pulley fan? and if i do change the fan do i remove the pulley as well? thank you

Old 11-05-2008, 08:15 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Electric fan

Hey, Ive got one of these in 2 of my cars and they work great. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=skuyou can get it either with a thermostat or without. I prefer not to use the thermostat and usethem as a back-up with a switch on the side of the floor console below the shifter. I use digital gauges so when I see the temp get too high (rarely) I flip the switch. Ive kept the mechanical fan there because it does a good job doing most of the cooling, but use the elect. one while sitting in traffic etc. Ill attach a couple pics

Old 11-05-2008, 08:48 PM
2nd Gear member

i bought the same fans BECAUSE of got3ofem. They are a bit pricy. but well worth it. never expected electric fans to be so simple/ efficient / awesome. the fan clutch will unbolt directly from the water pump. and you just use nuts to attach the pulley to the water pump. very easy. just make sure you use a good relay system for the fans. thats my only advice. good luck

Old 11-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Hey got3, that looks like a good elec. fan set-up, and nice digital dash too.
Just a thought though, if you use the electric fans in traffic, why not just ditch the power robbing belt-driven fan?
Out on the open road, you don't need a fan at all.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:49 PM
2nd Gear member

its true that you do not need the belt driven fan. but its not a bad fail safe. that way the engine wont over heat. even if there is an electrical issue with the unit

Old 11-06-2008, 01:29 PM

Thanks got3ofem. Your engine looks clean! where did u get those gauges? i still have the stock ones and they arent working very well...

Old 11-06-2008, 02:04 PM
2nd Gear member

ya isnt haveing the belt driven fan just taking up space,cause i thought they were use less in less it has the shroud,other wise its not pulling any air through the radiator.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:00 PM
1st Gear Member

The mechanical fan does a fairly good job of cooling even without a shroud, and I like the extra measure of protection in case of a elect. fan failure, even thoughI know it robs HP, plus I dont need the elect. fans as much which extends the life of them.That eng. wasnt cheap.....

The gauges were from www.dakotadigital.com and I really love them. There is alot of nice things they do... thanks for the compliments.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:35 AM
3rd Gear Member

do the electric fans really cool the engine more than the belt driven fan? and would it be worth it to convert to electric on my 81 camaro?

Old 11-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I'm running a single 14" electric fan on mine. For the time being, I have it wired to a switch and turn it on when needed. I have a new dual 12" thermo-controlled set up waiting to be put in (not at the top of my list yet).
On the open road, 30+ mph, I don't have the fan on at all. In traffic, I'll switch it on, and my beast rarely ever gets over 190 degrees. I just like the cleaner look, and the lessened chance of whacking a finger or timing light while working under the hood (I use the term hood loosely)!
Electric fan failure can be a concern, which is why I'm going to change to dual fans. Both fans aren't going to go out at the same time. If they do, it's a wiring issue that I can hot-wire on the spot (I carry a lot of emergency-you never know-kind of crap with me).

Quick Reply: Electric fan