Changing my intake manifold gasket

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 02:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Also, i was told there is a certain order when unbolting and bolting the manifold. I tried looking it up online but i cant find it. Any thoughts?

Old 05-19-2011, 03:35 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by mr.blue
lol alright alright no adhesive, use ultra black. i'll hit the store today when i get out of class. Oh, and just through watching automotive shows, if i remember correctly, do i need to put some sort of grease on the distributor gear?
You're thinking of using break-in grease on the gears for a new cam. You don't need to do any lubing when doing an r&r.
For the intake, I work from the inside bolts out, criss-crossing and alternating from side to side. This helps to avoid any possible warping in the middle. There is a torque spec, but it's next to impossible to get a torque wrench on half the bolts. Good and tight, but don't horse the bolts on.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:47 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

No special order for unbolting, but I do the same thing as Camaro 69 when bolting it on.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:25 PM
1st Gear Member

ok well today i got the distributor out, the carb off, all the hoses disconnected, the valve covers off (had to take them off to get to the distributor). I washed those by hand the best i could, now they're in the dish washer lol. ill leave them out all day tomorrow too to ensure there is no water.

i got the fel pro gaskets today also. then i ran out of day light. leaning over the car is killing my back. i'm leaking tranny fluid like crazy though. its like my car has had about 5 beers, you know that point where your bladder becomes about the size of a dixie cup? yea...its bad. Now the only part im worried about is reconnecting the carb...i had a hell of a time trying to figure out how to get it off. took a bunch of pics though so hopefully i'll be alright. i wrapped everything in plastic wrap, hope that'll keep the dust out.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:54 AM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by mr.blue
ok well today i got the distributor out, the carb off, all the hoses disconnected, the valve covers off (had to take them off to get to the distributor). I washed those by hand the best i could, now they're in the dish washer lol. ill leave them out all day tomorrow too to ensure there is no water.

i got the fel pro gaskets today also. then i ran out of day light. leaning over the car is killing my back. i'm leaking tranny fluid like crazy though. its like my car has had about 5 beers, you know that point where your bladder becomes about the size of a dixie cup? yea...its bad. Now the only part im worried about is reconnecting the carb...i had a hell of a time trying to figure out how to get it off. took a bunch of pics though so hopefully i'll be alright. i wrapped everything in plastic wrap, hope that'll keep the dust out.
Now thats funny right there I don't care who you are.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:24 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Guess I didn't figure on having trouble with the hoses. A good idea in the future is to use masking tape to mark each hose with a number. Then when you remove it put masking tape over the port, even punching the port through the tape, and put the same number on that. Then just pull the tape as you reassemble. Can't get anything wrong that way.
Sounds like your tranny needs a few seals too. Usually the front and rear seals. and the speedo seal will get it dry.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Lol nomad you like that? my roommates werent too happy about it...they kept goin on about it not being "sanitary", whatever that means.

But, im almost positive its mostly the sending unit. i have an electronic sending unit for the gauges i bought a little while back. So, i want to wait until i can find someone that knows how to wire them in before i fix the leak. If i tried installing them...guaranteed my car would be up in flames before i even put the battery back in. And that doesn't even make sense! thats how little i know about electrical stuff.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:55 AM
1st Gear Member

is there a way, while everything is off of my motor, that i could figure out what year motor i have. that would make buying things for it really easy. like, when i was doing my power steering pump i had to buy a pump for a 68 camaro. Also, when i was cleaning it, i wire brushed it a little too hard and i can see some light blue paint underneath the black paint thats on it right now.

And what do you guys think about painting the manifold? I have a performer rpm manifold on it right now. its just natural aluminum, so i was thinking of hitting it with some silver ceramic engine enamel to match my valve covers and pwr steering pump cover, as well as my thermostat housing. for some reason the guy at the auto parts store wasn't too fond of the idea.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:11 AM
2nd Gear member

Chevy Engine Codes This should help you with decoding your engine year, read down a ways it'll tell you where to look.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:36 PM
1st Gear Member

i got the manifold off and the last port on each side has coolant in them. is that supposed to happen?

Quick Reply: Changing my intake manifold gasket