Carburetor w/ AC idle up help

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 09:55 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Carburetor w/ AC idle up help

I just converted my 79 over to a serpentine belt system from a 91 z28, got the AC working and it feels great here in Texas (100+ degrees!) Anyways, the compressor puts an extra load on the system and the only way I can compensate for it is to adjust the idle screw. Now I know that there is a kickup solenoid but this carb is not stock so the one I tried from the 79 camaro doesn't mount. Can you help me identify this carb and what I need?

It is a four barrel with weber inscribed on the side, it says carter AFC (or Something) competition series on the front. Has an electric choke on the side.

Does anyone know what I need here to get the AC kickup working?

Old 07-21-2009, 10:52 AM
3rd Gear Member

Carter AFC is similar to Edelbrock. You can get an AC kickup switch for it at Summit Racing or Jegs if I remember correctly... I'm about to go to lunch and if you haven't found it and posted it I'll see if I can when I get back.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:01 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Im also curious to how it mounts, it doesn't look like there is a bracket to put it on or a place on the throttle assembly for it to push on once the solenoid engages? Any idea of how this system is supposed to work?

Old 07-21-2009, 12:37 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

On a different note, when you put on the serpentine belt setup, did you also install a reverse rotation water pump? V-belt runs clockwise, serpentine runs counter-clockwise. If you went from one to another with the same pump, it will be cavitating, not pumping.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:01 PM
3rd Gear Member

Is this the one you looked at?

It's Edelbrock part number 8059 and has instructions up at the top right of the page. It also includes a bracket and extra long carb stud for mounting.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

@kyphur
Thanks man, that looks like just what I need. Sucks that it is $100.. but oh well

@camaro 69
I found the reverse water pump out the hard way, put all the brackets on and the belt, damn thing overheated. Had to hunt down a reverse direction fan too.

Ya'll notice a loss large chuck of HP drop when AC comp is on? Used to squeal the tires from a dead stop and with the Compressor on I can barely get it to make any noise around tight corners?

Old 07-21-2009, 02:16 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by r00tk1ll
@kyphur
Thanks man, that looks like just what I need. Sucks that it is $100.. but oh well

@camaro 69
I found the reverse water pump out the hard way, put all the brackets on and the belt, damn thing overheated. Had to hunt down a reverse direction fan too.

Ya'll notice a loss large chuck of HP drop when AC comp is on? Used to squeal the tires from a dead stop and with the Compressor on I can barely get it to make any noise around tight corners?
No problem but that's the way it goes. You might be able to find a more compatible solenoid/switch at your local pro shop. I wouldn't go to autozone or one of those places as they'll try to search by vehicle and I doubt that they'll find something that works. A pro shop usually has someone who will be able to cobble together a nice working kit for you for half the price.

You shouldn't notice that much of a HP loss or atleast I wouldn't think so.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Think me messing with the idle go things out of sync?

Old 07-21-2009, 03:32 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by r00tk1ll
Think me messing with the idle go things out of sync?
Fiddling with the idle does nothing to off-idle performance. As soon as the throttle plates open, the idle circuit is bypassed.
Is your 79 engine in stock form? Because they aren't exactly "killer" engines you know. With cars that I've owned in the past, I've always noticed quite a difference between having the A/C on and off. So much so, that it's still automatic for me to switch off the A/C when someone wants to play at the stop light. The more lethargic the engine, the more you'll notice a difference.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Its a 350 bored over .30 from a later model Buick, I am just now learning about carburetors and was just wondering how much maintenance is required. I would definitely be interested in learning how to tune it to optimum performance. Any references ?

Quick Reply: Carburetor w/ AC idle up help