A/C delete questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 03:51 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default A/C delete questions

I'm in the process of getting rid of what's left of the A/C in the Camaro and have a couple of questions.

1. I've noticed on Camaro Centrals website there is a heater firewall box (non a/c car) and an actual delete box. Looking at these two boxes I don't see big differences between these (except for $50-$60 difference in price.) Aside from having to cut holes for heater hose and a bit bulkier beteen motor and core cover are there other differences? Pics attached -Chrome one is the heater only box and the other is the delete box.

2. I seem to have an issue with the blower resistor currently. I've had the connector unplugged because the fan will not shut off completely when it's plugged in. The blower will work on all speeds but when I shut it off it stays running as if there was a "very low" setting. With the blower working still doesn't seem like the resistor is failing? The high only relay seems to be working fine although the connector is broken so I've got a new one coming for that. Anyone else had a similar issue?

Attached Thumbnails A/C delete questions-htr-55c-2.jpg   A/C delete questions-she-1061c-2.jpg  
Old 09-05-2012, 06:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

Does the ignition switch need to be on for the motor to run a this low speed. Those years of Chevrolet had the fan running all the time. The reasoning behind that was to eliminate the concentration on carbon monoxide.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:40 PM
3rd Gear Member

That's interesting. Never knew that (and don't think I like that) but yes, it only runs with the key on. There's no way to have the blower actually off? I don't mind a little carbon monoxide, I'm always tired anyway... lol Appreciate the insight, thank you!

Old 09-06-2012, 02:23 AM
Overdrive Member

That box is plastic, I sold mine because I thought my headers would melt it.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

There's a big difference in the AC delete box and the heater box. The shape of the two openings is different, and you need to get the AC delete box if you have an AC car, or it wont cover your opening or match the bolt holes.
You can cut the wire that directly feeds the blower motor and install a toggle switch in the circuit to completely stop the fan from running. That way you can still use it in the winter when you need a fan by simply turning on a switch.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:48 PM
3rd Gear Member

That makes sense, from what I can see by the pics, it looked like the heater only box would cover and fit the same place but that's why I asked. I know you have to drill the mounting holes in the delete box anyway so I figured I might need to do that on the other. It is what it is but sure doesn't make sense why there's a huge price difference between these two similar plastic boxes. $135 for the delete box and $50 for the other (the chrome is more than the black one.) I was just hoping to save a couple bucks but shoulda known better.

Good idea with the toggle switch too, guess it's not terribly important at this point but an easy fix, appreciate it sir.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:56 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
There's a big difference in the AC delete box and the heater box. The shape of the two openings is different, and you need to get the AC delete box if you have an AC car, or it wont cover your opening or match the bolt holes.
You can cut the wire that directly feeds the blower motor and install a toggle switch in the circuit to completely stop the fan from running. That way you can still use it in the winter when you need a fan by simply turning on a switch.
Yes it will. It fit the hole perfect. The bolt holes were off a bit but I used zip screws to hold mine on. It worked great.

If the OP wants to just delete everything and cover both holes DSE has a nice plate for that.

Here is the Camaro Central on my car.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:11 PM
3rd Gear Member

I just found the one that you have/had Damon, it's still a delete box (pic 1). I didnt notice there was a page 2 on Camaro Central until I just looked again. That one is $15 cheaper than the delete box I was looking at but hey, it's still a savings! It just looks like the heater only box (pic 2) would work but I dont want to learn the hard way and waste more time waiting for a different one.

1970-1981 Heater Air Conditioning Firewall Delete Cover Box

Attached Thumbnails A/C delete questions-htr-568-2.jpg   A/C delete questions-htr-55-2.jpg  
Old 09-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

The AC delete box will cover on a car that had a heater Damon, but the heater box wont cover on a car that had AC. The one you have on your firewall is a AC delete box, not a heater box. The heater box is naorrwer top to bottom, and if used on a car that came with AC it will need patch or filler panels above and below to work.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:28 AM
Overdrive Member

Ahh, I get what you were saying. I grouped heater box in my brain as the same a AC box. They're both heater boxes to me. One is for an AC car though.

To the OP the second one you posted was for a car without AC. Its the factory "heater" box.