Buying First Car, Please help !

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Default Buying First Car, Please help !

Hello everyone, im 16 and trying to buy my first car. Ive really been looking at a 2nd gen camaro. I have found a few but im really not sure what im looking at or for. I want something
a) must be a v8 i know the 305's are ****, and everyone has a 350 but what would be the best option?
b) hopefully a manual transmission ( i don't see much stock maunal so aftermarket is no big deal)
c) Rear end, what sorta gearing ?

Anyhelp would be really appreciated !

Old 07-02-2011, 07:20 PM
2nd Gear member

First things first,even if you find one with a perfect body,look under the car to check the rear frame rails this is a place that is well known for these cars to rust out,surface rust is not a big deal,but if you see part of the rail missing,that would not be good.As far as motors go,a 305 is not really a bad motor,and they can be built up to put out pretty good power,but being you are so young,i'd say the 305 is plenty powerful enough,even more than you should need in a street car,especially at a young age,more power is more likely to get you in trouble or get you hurt.Manual cars are out there,but getting harder to find as alot of people through the years have bought them and switched them over to automatics,if you truly want a 4 speed car,either buy a car and do the conversion(you can get pedals and all other parts from ebay,craigslist,etc,) or hold out until one pops up,it took me years to finally find one in my price range and in good shape.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I guess I'd start by asking what your budget is, so I could get an idea of what might be realistic in your price range. Of course everyone wants the same things you've mentioned, a good 350 or larger, and a 4 spd, so those cars will command more money.
I'd also want to know your mechanical skill level, or whether you've got friends or family with skills that could help with a project car.
I always tell people to start with the best car they can afford, because poor condition cars will eat up your budget quickly. Best to start with an extremely solid body and frame, than a mechanically solid running gear, but rusted out body. Good engines/trans are much cheaper than bodywork.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:03 PM

budget is around 5-6k , i see lots of camaro's out there for around that price range. And yes i have lots of family and friends that are mechanics. Since my family owns a farm i have lots of tools and stuff, welder, torch, saws, all that good stuff.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:45 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

With that kind of a budget you should be able to find a solid, clean, running example of a later 2nd gen in the '76-'81 era. Check the private listings of your local Craigslist, and be patient.
Make sure it's got no major rust issues like B.M. mentioned, and check for damp carpets, which means major leaks. Best gear range is a 3.73, but I doubt you'll get everything you want in a used car that's over 30 yrs. old, so just try to get most the features you like, and build from there.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:59 AM

Now what would be the best transmission, a 5 or 6 speed ? I dont need this to be a perfect resto i just want something drivable and that looks nice.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:05 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by lillmulls
Now what would be the best transmission, a 5 or 6 speed ? I dont need this to be a perfect resto i just want something drivable and that looks nice.
Best would be the factory 4 spd, unless you want to bust that budget right out of the gate! You wont buy a decent car and swap a 5 or 6 spd in and stay within the budget.

Last edited by 1971BB427; 07-03-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:12 AM
2nd Gear member

If you can find one that is already a manual trans,it will most likely be a 4 speed,although you may get lucky and find one that has been swapped,as for which would be better between the 5 and 6 not sure as mine is a 4 speed.With the budget you have,like val mentioned you should be able to find a pretty nice car that will meet most of what your looking for.My car is an 80 Z28 with a 4 speed and 350,and overall in really good shape(only found 1 small rust hole the size of a quater)and i picked it up for $3,200,of course now i have done alot more upgrades so i have alot more than that in it now,but just letting ya know,you can find them in good shape for decent prices.Just dont jump on the first one you see if it's not really the one you want.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Overdrive Member

Man my first car was 400 bucks.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

There's a lot of difference in 4 spd trans, just like there's a difference in 5 spd. trans. Some are very good, while others are just OK. The 3rd gen 5 spds. are OK, but not relly the best choice for hi performance. The Saginaw 4 spd. is OK, but wont come close to a Super T10 or a Muncie.

Quick Reply: Buying First Car, Please help !