Brand new Here and Need some advice on this Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 02:02 PM
Default Brand new Here and Need some advice on this Car

Okay so I am new and need some advice.

Background. My aunt has a 1970 Camaro that was never restored and parked for 30 years... Eventhough it was garage kept the floor is really rusted. We were considering restoration but finiancially think it would be a bad in vestment in this market.

I have explained to her the options. While looking for Camaros to get some values I found the link below.

Chevrolet : Camaro | eBay

Can someone help me out with this car? My aunt is really interseted and I have no idea what to look for and what questions to ask... How does it look? I did call the guy and he said he would let it go for $21k. We live in Gettysburg PA and the car is in AL. I would have to fly down and drive it back or put it on a train.

I am trying to help my family out and hope that some wisdom could be shed on me.

Thank you all very much and look forward to your advise.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:12 PM
2nd Gear member

If you have the ability and know how to do the work for her,i would say it could be fully restored and still be less money involved than what the asking price is for the other car.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Floor pan replacement is beyond most hobbyist's abilities and facilities. I looked into having a 2 floor pans replaced in a'73. The shop wanted to replace the whole floor pan. They were going to put it on a rotisserie. They specialize in restorations and rods.
You will probably find alot more rust as you get deeper into the floor replacement. Shock towers and suspension attachment points are going to be rotten.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by B.M.
If you have the ability and know how to do the work for her,i would say it could be fully restored and still be less money involved than what the asking price is for the other car.

To be honest I probably could do the restoration but do not want to invest that kind of time into the project.

Her car is just a base camaro with no packages. Auto tranny. Bottom of the barrel camaro with a the basic V8.

One piece bumper.

Thank you all for a quick response.

What do you guys think about that car on ebay?

Just so everyone knows the bottom of the car is not holey yet but is soft to the touch in some places. And she wants a really nice car whether we buy or restore.

good story about the car. My grandfather bought the car for himself from a girl who went to TX to get married. She got stood up at the wedding, went right to the dealership and bought the car off the show room, drove back to her parents in NJ and sold the car the next day to my grandfather. He was so excited and brought it home. Got out of the car and my aunt (18 years old at the time) said "Daddy, I am not going to college but I want the car instead" He never got to enjoy the care. Shame. that was the kind of man he was. He raised me with my mom due to a Divorce. Me and him were like glue. My aunt and uncle were to cheap to restore the car 20 years ago even though they had the money.

What should I be looking for if we decided to go the route of the ebay car?

Old 09-14-2011, 09:46 PM

we were looking into a inspection but know if they really know the car well enough to know what it is.

How do you determine a clone? So what is a perfect 70 camaro worth? high teens?

The market is all over the place.

Thank you.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:46 PM
Overdrive Member

I would like to see pics. 30 yrs in the garage couldn't have been as bad as 30 Michigan winters. I bet.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:02 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

If the car on Ebay is as nice as it appears, and a true Z28/RS then the price is reasonable in my opinion. You couldn't have the work done on your aunt's car to make it into something similar for the $21k they've quoted you. And once you did it would still be a stock base Camaro.
I'd also reccommend having someone legitimate do a vehicle inspection prior to working a deal with the owner. I think I would also consider taking a chance and see if the car gets anywhere near that price on Ebay. $21k may be what he says he wants, but if the auction stalls at much lower he may reconsider what he'll take. Or just counter his $21k with $18k and wait for the phone call if he doesn't sell it on Ebay.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:38 PM

well if its your favorite year and you klove the car than cost isnt a factor because its your baby and its a great hobby.. with taht being said as the owner of a 67-68 and 70.5 camaro i can tell yah the 70 will always stay in my drive way when i have a 2 car garage no offense i like my 70 but she is a 3rd place, it simply doesnt have the backing the 1st generation vehicles have so please note this from some1 that owns a 70 please if i had the 20k id get myself into a 1st generation now before its way to late, additionally its getting more and more difficult as far as parts are concerned for the 2nd generation

however i know some1 is going to chew me a new tail over this opinion as these cars will always hold their value .. but do consider what these repo parts cost and in many cases they are a headache,, please do keep me informed i may have some parts you could use on your 70 god knows my garage is full of parts lol

Old 09-16-2011, 12:14 AM
Overdrive Member

I won't complain over your favorite year, thats just your opinion. But will say you are dead wrong about second gens no having parts to back them. We (second gen owners) are just coming into our own. 1st gens have been pushed out of the price range of the average car guy. Now the second gens are being saved the same way the 1st's were. We will never be able to build one out of a catalog for sure but the aftermarket has stepped up in the last 5+ years and their are a lot of great parts out there. It's not even hard to find them.

If you pay attention to the big auctions on TV, which I hate and blame for running the cost of 1st gens up to begin with. Our cars are starting to pull real money. I saw a 78 T/A that went for $43,000 on Mecum. the average price is around $8000-$12000. Yes it was an exception.

Body panels are all repoped. Year one just came out with TWO new wheels that are 17" versions of stock second gen wheels. One is the N90 at 80-81 wheel. Thats added to the two they make for second gen T/A's.

All of that and then you got the fact no one has built a 1st gen that stands out from the crowd in a long time. Its been done and done again.

I still want a nice 67' next to mine though.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:04 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

2nd gens are still very affordable in decent shape, especially '74-'81 models. The '70-'73 are getting very close to '67-'68 price ranges in equal condition, but will never catch up to the '69, which seems to be the most desireable of all Camaros built.
I've seen big price increases in 2nd Gen Camaros in the last 10 years, and in the next 10 I believe they'll continue to escalate in value.

Quick Reply: Brand new Here and Need some advice on this Car