Best exhaust system 74 Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 02:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Best exhaust system 74 Camaro?

Hello everyone, I recently got a 1974 Camaro with a 350 engine. It has single Cat exhaust, and I want to get dual in the future.

I want a exhaust that sounds good, but not loud. Any suggestions?

Old 12-28-2010, 04:35 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Flowmasters.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Are you looking for a system that comes ready to bolt on with dual cats, or one that can be modified to dual cats?
And are you running headers or plan to run headers also?

Old 12-28-2010, 09:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Are you looking for a system that comes ready to bolt on with dual cats, or one that can be modified to dual cats?
And are you running headers or plan to run headers also?
On my single exhaust to convert it to a dual will I need a entirely new system?

Old 12-29-2010, 12:13 AM
Overdrive Member

I plan the Pypes set up myself.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:06 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

It's usually cheaper to go with headers and a new dual exhaust system if you're converting, especially if you're doing the labor yourself. The cost of a system that will hook to your stock cast iron mainifolds isn't much less, and often you'll end up breaking bolts when they remove the factory pipes.
The absolute cheapest way to go is to take it to a muffler shop and have them cut the crossover pipe, then weld a new exhaust for the other side to match the existing, if the existing is in good shape. Then they can install a dual muffler, or two new single mufflers.
I went with this system myself, but I have headers that I hooked it to. I love the sound and performance, plus it was dirt cheap at $199.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-680101/

Old 12-29-2010, 08:04 PM
2nd Gear member

a set of pretty standard headers for a SBC flowtech, pacesetter, headmen, i have flowtech.

then a set of true duels and have an Hpipe put in. OR an Xpipe your choice. and get a set of duel glass packs or muffler of your choice. i payed 180$ to have a guy weld mine up to my flanges and build that setup and its been awesome.

flowtech headers
Hpipe true duels
cherry bomb glasspack X2
=
awesomeness

Old 12-29-2010, 10:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

It's usually cheaper to go with headers and a new dual exhaust system if you're converting, especially if you're doing the labor yourself. The cost of a system that will hook to your stock cast iron mainifolds isn't much less, and often you'll end up breaking bolts when they remove the factory pipes.
The absolute cheapest way to go is to take it to a muffler shop and have them cut the crossover pipe, then weld a new exhaust for the other side to match the existing, if the existing is in good shape. Then they can install a dual muffler, or two new single mufflers.
I went with this system myself, but I have headers that I hooked it to. I love the sound and performance, plus it was dirt cheap at $199.

Thanks a bunch 1971BB427 and everyone else for the help!

Old 12-29-2010, 11:03 PM
Overdrive Member

Hey its cool, we are pretty frendly here.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:12 PM

i agree im using the summit 2 1/2 dual system wit summit rand headers and i love it headers sealed great an pipes fit perfect also tey come out the back an turn down the bumper to give a good clean factory look. also try your local craigslists for headers i see them on there all the time i got my summit brand headers on there for 15 buck an i believe the exhaust was like 129.00 or something

Quick Reply: Best exhaust system 74 Camaro?