bb in a 79

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 11:22 PM
Default bb in a 79

i have a 454 block that i want to rebuild into a blower motor for my 79 Z28. I was wondering if anybody has done that and if i could get some helpful hints. one of my friends told me that i could just turn the motor mounts around and get the big block in, is that true?

Old 11-11-2006, 08:53 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: bb in a 79

Your friend is incorrect. Go to a GM Dealer and order the BB Mounting Brackets that bolt to the Front Cross Member and suggest you install new GM motor mounts with the safety locks. The cross member should already have holes for the BB bracket location. If not the dealer should have specs for you to drill them in the proper location.

Because a BB s much heavier then a SB, you will have to change out the front springs applicable for the BB.

It takes allot of time and determination. Be Patient and do it right.

Good LUCK on your project.

Old 11-15-2006, 01:36 AM
3rd Gear Member

You can use the existing mounts but the engine will sit slightly farther back creating a distributer/firewall issue. With a blower, You'll have those issues anyway. Moroso sells long and short motor mounts and You will need one of each to use the existing framee mounts. They're solid and You'll need those anyway with the blower.

Old 11-15-2006, 01:44 AM

thanks for the info guys

Old 11-30-2006, 03:26 PM

JIMBO: Just did this, 350 to 454, engine will sit back a small amount, maybo to much for blower but I do not think so. You can use your small block emg/frame mounts and bolt the BB in,