attention all 2nd gen owners noob here

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 01:04 AM
Default attention all 2nd gen owners noob here

hey guys i have a question i really need answered. i am in need of a sweet camaro but i have some concerns. i am interested in the 79, 80, and 81 years.

I have a few questions.

-What is your MPG (i really need to know).

-Would you recommend a late 2nd gen camaro. Yes or no and why?

-Does your car still a strong driver considering its 30 years old?

-Is it your daily driver?

thank you very much for answering my questions, I am new here and any advice is very much appreciated.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:15 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: attention all 2nd gen owners noob here

13 city 20 highway give or take,yes very,yes it is as long as you take care of it,yes it is i deliver pizzas in it every day. but i will tell you right now do not buy a old car if you want gas milage,you buy a camaro to look cool and to haul ***. not to save gas.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:00 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rideyourbike

hey guys i have a question i really need answered. i am in need of a sweet camaro but i have some concerns. i am interested in the 79, 80, and 81 years.

I have a few questions.

-What is your MPG (i really need to know).
Well, you can "make" the car get decent gas mileage but be prepared to drop a lot of money and time into if you want to do it. Tranny with OD, tweaking the engine and rebuilding it with great parts geared towards efficiency, etc. Changing out the gears in the rear end for highway efficiency but at the cost of low end torque and hard launches. A lot of people are dropping LS engines in them with modern OD transmissions with good results.

-Would you recommend a late 2nd gen camaro. Yes or no and why?
I would recommend almost any camaro. I personally prefer the 1st gen, 2nd gen and 4th gen with the round headlights. The 3rd gens are pretty nice too when done right.

-Does your car still a strong driver considering its 30 years old?
Well, mine's rebuilt and is currently still being upgraded as I drive it. Estimated HP right now is between 325 - 400 with a dyno pull coming soon hopefully.

-Is it your daily driver?
Yes

thank you very much for answering my questions, I am new here and any advice is very much appreciated.
You are very welcome and good luck on your decision. Welcome to the board.

[/quote]

Old 10-21-2008, 11:05 PM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If you really want to know:

My mpg on the highway is about 12, between stoplights 2,,,yes that is two.

Do you expect me to recommend a Mustang?????? c'mon

Strong driving car??? Try and pass me!

Absolutely not a daily driver, but then when I get my 5th gen I will not drive that daily either.

No foul intended, just feeling a little sarcastic tonite!
Camaros are great cars. But realistically, the cars are old and they are what you build them to be. Parts are readily available, both stock replacements and upgraded. You can make them a straight line racer or a corner carving monster. Like Kypher said, you can get mileage if you use the right combination of parts. I do not think you will get anything but a thumbs-up around here, buy one!!!

Old 10-22-2008, 01:40 AM
1st Gear Member

all been said...
milage btw 11 street about 18 HWY,
dude its a camaro... what else can you ask for?
surpisingly even with the car being original almost all the way yeah it is strong (enought to burn most ricers and V6 tangs XD)
daily driver

Good luck with you purchase, and let us know what you do and what you get

Old 10-22-2008, 05:55 PM

I own a 1979 camaro just finished. It has a jasper 350,400 hp. 430tq. im getting about 12 in town if i stay outof it. about six if im stompping on it alot. 700 e.b. carb. high way about 17. Not a good car for gas milage. Things to watch for body mounts rot out, driver side rear, lower part of quarter panel rot. shock mounts also can rot out.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:12 PM

ive got a 79 z28 that i drive everyday. so far it has been a great driver. its hasnt broke down on me yet and its on the origional engine/tranny. it gets decent milage around town with a 350/350 set up. i dont drive the highway with it very often so i cant say what the milage is. but with these cars you arent really looking for milage

[IMG]local://upfiles/14031/016CC13C96B24C049C74F3D23413F179.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-23-2008, 11:22 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1979RS

all been said...
milage btw 11 street about 18 HWY,
dude its a camaro... what else can you ask for?
surpisingly even with the car being original almost all the way yeah it is strong (enought to burn most ricers and V6 tangs XD)
daily driver

Good luck with you purchase, and let us know what you do and what you get
Heh, I killed a 2007 GT a few days ago.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:27 PM
May 2007 ROTM

it all depends on how beat your car , and what's in it.
Mine got 4 mpg..and you can say it ran strong.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:00 PM
1st Gear Member

kyphurit doesn't surprise me lol i mean you said you have Btw 3something to 400 Hp of course that would do,that's my HPgoal.... long therm project tho as i'm studying and paying for it at the same time.
i mention only a tang V6 cuz i'm still running the original engine tras and everything on the car and as you prolly know my car only has 170 HP so..... yeah kindda sad but that what it is, even tho its the original stuff it still runs strong...

Quick Reply: attention all 2nd gen owners noob here