air shocks or gas to adjust ride height

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Thanks Jason! It did get a little squirrely when we got into it a bit on the main drag! :
Did your Camaro feel any different driving home with the new spoiler on? Might have a little more downforce in the back at highway speeds.
Enjoyed meeting you and working on your Camaro! -Vall
yeah it did but with all that power its expected to get a little squirrely
yeah it actually did feel a little different. i didn't think it would make a noticable difference but i did feel a little. Enjoyed meeting you too

Old 02-17-2010, 10:37 PM
2nd Gear member

how much was does a whole polly bushing kit go for? thought about 300$?

Old 02-17-2010, 10:48 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Way less than that! It was $167 for an Energy Suspensions kit from Summit.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-3-18119G/

Last edited by 1971BB427; 02-17-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:56 PM
2nd Gear member

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol i can SO do that soon then. i will have those bushings in like before end of summer at that price.. im going go do a few of them before like the sway bar ones cause mine are pretty much gone... and shocks are crap too so a few will be replaced what i dont use my dad can have for his 70. and bushings really take a good weekend or 2 front and back to do if you toss stuff like ball joints and end links and other stuff like that. my sub frame to body ones are crushed and cracked out too so it take a little work for those but they need done too. im going to run OEM rubber ones there maybe. i hear it handles a little better and rides nicer not putting pollys there cause it lets a little natural roll into turns without compromising or forcing it into a brick of a car.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:23 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by B.M.
Just watch your backspacing on your rear rims,if it isnt dead on those tires will either stick out under the fender lip or they will hit the shock.
is that bad if they stick out a little under the fender lip?

Old 02-18-2010, 09:03 AM
Overdrive Member

Toss a JC Whitney shackle kit under it too! Just don't Armoral your seats or your stuff yourself under the dash when you hit the brakes.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:11 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Toss a JC Whitney shackle kit under it too! Just don't Armoral your seats or your stuff yourself under the dash when you hit the brakes.
Thats to funny,brings back bad memories of a nova i used to have,amor all'ed all the interior,went driving and felt like i was on a slip & slide.

As for the question about sticking out under the fender lip,if the lip is to close to the tire it can dig into it when you accelerate hard or hit a bump and tear up your tire.Like stated above you can get a shckle set that will raise the rear,what i did was rolled my inner wheel well lip up.I noticed you said you got cragars,thats what i had on mine,what style & size did you get for the rear,i had soft 8's 15x8 and the backspacing was right where it needed to be.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:48 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by B.M.
As for the question about sticking out under the fender lip,if the lip is to close to the tire it can dig into it when you accelerate hard or hit a bump and tear up your tire.Like stated above you can get a shckle set that will raise the rear,what i did was rolled my inner wheel well lip up.I noticed you said you got cragars,thats what i had on mine,what style & size did you get for the rear,i had soft 8's 15x8 and the backspacing was right where it needed to be.
would it be ok if it stuck out under the fender lip if i had air shocks? how do you roll the wheel well lip up?
the i got the series 61 SS's and the back's are 15x10

Old 02-18-2010, 08:06 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I built some shackles for the rear of my Camaro when I added the air shocks. I didn't like the lengths that aftermarket offered, and I wanted a little wider material similar to factory.
Rolling the wheelwell lip is not hard to do if you use a pair of duckbill Vise Grips. That's what I used to roll mine. You need to have the tires off when doing it, and then just clamp the very edge of the lip and pull it up until it's almost 90 degrees to the opening. I cut the Vise Grip pliers narrower, as the duck bill pliers were about 3.5" wide, and gripped too much material. I cut them down to around 1.5" wide.
If your tires hang out too far you can get a ticket! Most states wont do much when it's dry, but if they see you sending up huge rooster tails in the rain a cop might pull you over and cite you! Best to not get much over 1" outside the wheelwells.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:12 PM
3rd Gear Member

i measured the backspacing and it said 2 3/4" but the closest they make is 3 3/4" so i dont know if im off but i think i measured it right. i put a yard stick across the back of the wheel (laying face down)and measured from the mounting pad to the yard stick

Quick Reply: air shocks or gas to adjust ride height