air shocks or gas to adjust ride height

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 12:41 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default air shocks or gas to adjust ride height

i got some new cragar wheels and 2 295 50R 15 tires for the back but if i use 60's in front the front will point up instead of dropping down. so i was thinking of using air shocks to help raise the back to balance the tire height difference. should i use air shocks or gas shocks? i heard that air shocks give a smoother ride and are for load leveling and that gas shocks give a harsh ride

Old 02-17-2010, 03:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Gas shocks won't raise the back. Air shocks can but they will be as stiff as 2x4s when you fill them up enough to raise the height. Also to raise the rear height you can add a leaf to the rear springs, get different arch springs, replace the rear shackles with taller shackles and other options. I recommend just getting a shorter and narrower tire up front than in the rear.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:11 PM
3rd Gear Member

i can't find any narrow 50's for the front so i don't know what else to use since any 60 would raise the front more

Old 02-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Overdrive Member

These cars are notorious for the front riding high. I would look into a lower front coil spring for a cheap fix. If you really want to get cheap you can just cut the spring. Start with maybe half a coil. If its still up there, cut another half. I don't know if your looking for a rake or just to sit level. The rear springs are probably sagging abit. Then through a hundrend pounds of sterio equipment right over top of them and you can see my point. How wide are your front rims? I've seen some pretty short front runners at the track. Air shocks are poop in IMHO. When there pumped way up to get the *** up, you will definitly get some wheel hop, probably even bounce. And then there is the reallity that they will leak eventually, leaving your Camaro doing a wheely. Sorry I'm starting to ramble. Good luck.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:03 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Did my Camaro feel rough or stiff this afternoon? I've run air shocks on the back for over 30 yrs. Actually the very same set for all that time. Used to run separate lines to help preload the suspension when I was drag racing, and I think I'm going back to separate lines again soon.
As for your tire/wheel combo, I'd go with 60's on the front and 50's in back. The combination of the different size wheels and tire widths will balance out. Just measure the height of your rear tires and go to the tire shop and ask them what size 60 will work on the front rims and be about the same height. I'd guess around 225 or 235 for the front will match up well.
Sorry my Camaro is such a slug, wish it had a little more power.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:37 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Did my Camaro feel rough or stiff this afternoon? I've run air shocks on the back for over 30 yrs. Actually the very same set for all that time. Used to run separate lines to help preload the suspension when I was drag racing, and I think I'm going back to separate lines again soon.
As for your tire/wheel combo, I'd go with 60's on the front and 50's in back. The combination of the different size wheels and tire widths will balance out. Just measure the height of your rear tires and go to the tire shop and ask them what size 60 will work on the front rims and be about the same height. I'd guess around 225 or 235 for the front will match up well.
Sorry my Camaro is such a slug, wish it had a little more power.

no it didn't feel rough at all it was sooo badass!! your camaro rocks Val! ok i will investigate the front tire sizes. haha yeah i wish it had more power too i wasn't pushed into the seat enough haha. its a beast!

Old 02-17-2010, 10:05 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Thanks Jason! It did get a little squirrely when we got into it a bit on the main drag! :
Did your Camaro feel any different driving home with the new spoiler on? Might have a little more downforce in the back at highway speeds.
Enjoyed meeting you and working on your Camaro! -Vall

Last edited by 1971BB427; 02-17-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:07 PM
2nd Gear member

i got air shocks too i love them but, i got worn/cracked bushings but today i did a home prompt to alignment job. found out it WAS REALLY OUT OF ALIGNMENT! causing tons of front wheel hop/vibrations so its more keyed in and it vibrated less on the new tires. wheel and tie rods are now square up with centerline of car. gona get it aligned in a few but i got a few things i want to do before, like replace some bushings and maybe replace the tie rod ends being mine feel a tad worn. but its coming together. i would recommend the air shocks.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:28 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I still have a big box of parts in the garage waiting for me to get busy and install all the poly suspension bushings!

Old 02-17-2010, 10:29 PM
2nd Gear member

I ran 295/50/15 and 235/60/15 on my old camaro,those 295-50's are massive and the 235's are about 2" shorter on the height.If i remember right the 295 was 28" tall and the 235/60 is like 25" or 26" tall.They actually make a great setup together,the rear tires alone will give you a little more height in the rear and the smaller fronts will drop that just a hair,gives it a subtle raked look.Just watch your backspacing on your rear rims,if it isnt dead on those tires will either stick out under the fender lip or they will hit the shock.

Quick Reply: air shocks or gas to adjust ride height