Advice or info on this exhaust system please

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Jeromaro
Wow thats a hell of a saving. 71BB427 he went the Summit kit you actually recommened me awhile back. Showed him the sound clip of your system and he was sold. Which headers did you run with that Summit kit?
I've had the same headers on my car since 1975. They are Doug Thorleys, but it's so long ago I don't know what model they are or whether they still sell the same ones. Back then they were $59, but now Doug Thorley headers are super spendy.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:28 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Wheww since '75? Your headers are way older then me. Do or anyone have suggestions on headers? Thanks for the help everyone.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Overdrive Member

I would buy Hedmans again in a heatbeat. Granted that I have a SB but I have had Headers from Dynomax,Hooker, and Hedman. I prefer a tuned header, Dynomax wasn't. Tuned means that all the tubes are the same length.

The Hookers were fender well exit for a Nova and due to the design they cracked right where the primary meets the flange. This happened at a Super Chevy race. Not what I wanted to deal with while 3 hrs from home and spending the weekend at the track. JB weld to the rescue. After driving all over unfamiliar territory the girl at the gas station down the road from the track sent us to her house. Met her husband, very odd people. Then there were the 1 million, yes 1,000,000, used tires they had on their property. The mosquitoes there were something else, never seen anything like it. Anyhow the hillbillies there helped me out by selling me used tubes of JB for $10. Then another $20 for some firewood. I didn't want to haggle with these guys so I paid a got out of Dodge.

Thats why I hate Hooker headers, lol. I will add don't spring for the ceramic coating regardless of what brand you buy. My Hedmans and Hookers were both coated and both didn't last a year.

Sorry for the long read I thought I'd share a funny story with you guys. They said the fire dept. had an evacuation plan in case there ever were a fire, thats a lot of tires.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I have a couple issues with equal length headers. First they are great if all out performance is what you're looking for, but for most street driven cars it's not necessary.
The problem with equal length headers is in making all the tubes equal they use up a lot of extra space under the hood, so access to spark plugs and starter is compromised in the name of performance. Other full length, (but unequal length) headers are bent to miss everything, and not worry so much about length. They work great, just a small loss in performance, but a big gain in accessibility.
Equal length headers are also always more money, and if you're not racing it's money wasted. My Doug's are not equal length, nor are the Patriots in my gasser, or the Hookers on my Suburban. I can't tell any loss of power, but I bet it would take a dyno to see the difference with a closed exhaust system.
I'd go with a name brand, and not pay the extra for equal length.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:17 PM
Overdrive Member

I agree. It probably would be very little improvement on the street.