about a sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 06:24 PM
1st Gear Member
Default about a sway bar

ok so i got some new shocks and coil springs for the car but ... my rear sway bar is broken... yes ... broken into 2 pices, anyways i was wondering if you guys think it would be ok if i welded the 2 parts together and use it for a while, i'm low on money specially now, but eventually i wanna get a new sway bar prolly a 1' one but for now i can't afford it,
would it be strong enought just for regular driving?

Old 11-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: about a sway bar

No, if you weld any spring (yes its a a sway bar is a torsion spring of sorts) you screw up the heat treat of the spring in that area. In this case the spring would be full hard in the area you welded and would cause a huge stress riser. Also, most of the time when you weld you are putting in a dis-simlar but better steel. This is why many welders tell you the weld is strongerthe orignal un-repaired area. This is bad for a spring. To fixa spring right you would have to weld in up with the same type a metal,aneal and re-temper the the whole spring.

Sorry.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:49 AM
1st Gear Member

grr... ok then thx

Old 11-11-2008, 02:40 PM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

it would be alright to run without it for a while.a many of cars come without them.now if it was the front one ,it would make it feel real loose

Old 11-11-2008, 02:48 PM
2nd Gear member

did second gen camaro's even come with a rear sway bar. i work at an auto parts store and there is no listing for a bar or even any links. i know the rear sway bar i have on my car is an aftermarket piece. and for those who know about the after market parts buisness i checked moog, parts master, and, federated. all their books have no listing for it. just a question.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:01 PM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the one i got on my car came off of a 80 donor car so i wouldnt know if the 78 came with it or not.i do know i couldnt find bushings for it so i had to make some

Old 11-11-2008, 09:27 PM
1st Gear Member

really? i mean i've found alot of sway bars that claim to be for a 79 camaro, it would surprice me that they didn't have it, but idk i'm not an expert on cars, anyways i looked them up online and i've found a couple even a local store caries them i just don't have the money,

you guys say that i could be driving without it but... as far as i remember the shocs on my car go attached to it... so ..... how how can i ran without shocks (a sway bar for that matter)?

Old 11-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you guys say that i could be driving without it but... as far as i remember the shocs on my car go attached to it... so ..... how how can i ran without shocks (a sway bar for that matter)?
This is a normal 2nd gen sway bar. The bar attachs to the low plate and so does theshock but they are not connected. You do have to put the nuts back on to hold the main plate inplace.

Name:  niceaxle.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  36.8 KB

Old 11-11-2008, 10:36 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Good picture Gorn, that helped I'm sure. And also, if your car came equipped with a rear bar from the factory, there should be a bracket that's welded on the body which the upper portion of that vertical link attaches to...if I'm not mistaken.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:33 AM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

no bracket on the frame just threaded holes for attaching the arm to the frame.

Quick Reply: about a sway bar