81 Z28 w/4sp dog tracking issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Question 81 Z28 w/4sp dog tracking issue

My son purchased a 81 Z28 w/factory 4sp tranny. We replaced the 305 with a built 350. On our 1st ride I followed him and noticed the car is dog tracking. After taking a look we noticed that the tire on the rear pass side is not centered in the fender cutouts. We measured from centerline front wheel to centerline rear wheel and we have 1" difference. 108" on the driver side and 109" on the pass side. Took a good look and nothing appeared to be out of line on the rear. We don't know if the car has been wrecked in the past, if so I'm guessing the front because the rear sub frame looks to be old and original.
Any suggestions on what to look for would be appreciated.

I'm new here so if I posted in the wrong section forgive me.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:58 PM
3rd Gear Member

Hmmm, I don't understand what you mean by "dog tracking" 100%. Do you mean it's pulling to one side or driving straight but the car is at an angle?

I think I noticed my 74 sticks out a little on one side by like an inch too when I changed out the rear end. If I get a chance I'll measure mine out and let you know.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:49 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd take measurements where the axle meets the rear springs. If one of the previous owners hit a curb hard enough, I could have shifted the u-bolts on the rear spring. Just my 2 cents

Old 03-28-2010, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by kyphur
Hmmm, I don't understand what you mean by "dog tracking" 100%. Do you mean it's pulling to one side or driving straight but the car is at an angle?

I think I noticed my 74 sticks out a little on one side by like an inch too when I changed out the rear end. If I get a chance I'll measure mine out and let you know.

Driving straight but the car is at an angle. If you get behind him in a chase vehicle his car looks as if it is going down the road sideways. We call it "Dog Tracking" here in the south. Not sure what the technical term would be.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:13 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I'm not sure they have U bolts on the rear? Don't they just have a spring plate and a perch welded to the axle?
I would check the measurement from the rear spring perch to the back edge of the front subframe, then check the subframe length from the lower control arm back, and the lower control arm forward. Repeat this for both sides and write down the measurements.
It's possibly had the front subframe replaced afte an accident, but in the original holes and if those holes shifted from damage you may have a buckled floorpan. Once you're done checking measurements, inspect the area around the 4 body bushing mounting points on the front subframe for any signs of bent or disturbed floorpans.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:34 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by imafishingfred
Driving straight but the car is at an angle. If you get behind him in a chase vehicle his car looks as if it is going down the road sideways. We call it "Dog Tracking" here in the south. Not sure what the technical term would be.
Ha ha, I was raised in Alabama and lived in Georgia and the Carolinas. I don't think I can get any more "south" than that unless I go to Florida, Cuba or Mexico. Just never heard the term before but I kinda followed.

I don't think mine tracks like that though but like I said, I did notice that one wheel stuck out a little more than the other. It's not much but I did notice it on my old rear end but I didn't even remember it till this post. I'll check it tomorrow before I leave for work.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:55 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The rearend spring perches are pinned to the leaf springs and the springs are sandwiched by the lower plate and held together with u-bolts. Hitting a curb wouldn't shift that mounting point or a u-bolt, unless there isn't a locating pin anymore or if a previous owner half-assed something, which is always a possibility. Since your left and right rear tire to fender fitment seems to be off (according to your fender gaps), then you might want to do some careful frame to rearend measurements at the spring perches and see if something is out of whack. Oh, and dog-tracking is a term we've always used here too. If you've ever watched a dog trot from behind, you'll understand where the term came from.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:03 PM
3rd Gear Member

Ha, yeah, that's how I figured it out with my first response. Just pictured a dog walking along. I have enough reference with the four dogs in my living room right now.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Overdrive Member

Here is a link for all the frame measurements you will need. http://www.nastyz28.com/tech/framechk.html This the one I'm using to put my subframe with. Hope it helps. KYPHUR the rear end not being centered sise to side is normal.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
The rearend spring perches are pinned to the leaf springs and the springs are sandwiched by the lower plate and held together with u-bolts.
Hate to tell you this, but 2nd gen Camaros don't have U bolts around the axle. The spring perches are welded to the axle, and the springs are located with a pin, but the shock/spring plate is just bolted together, no U bolts used. Just climbed under mine to verify this, as I thought I might be going nuts again!
Not mine, but here's a pic:

Last edited by 1971BB427; 04-03-2010 at 01:38 PM.

Quick Reply: 81 Z28 w/4sp dog tracking issue