79 Z28 fuelpump pushrod dropped (how do I raise it?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 01:46 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: 79 Z28 fuelpump pushrod dropped (how do I raise it?)

I was just looking at your location are you from Saegertown? I am from Hermitage.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:54 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Meadville but I am visiting my brother in CA. He sayz I can have the Z if I can get it so I can drive it home, I'm running short on time now though.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:03 AM
In the Staging Lanes

The situation-
Someone told my brother 1 year ago his fuel pump was bad, car has not run since then.
He said when you started it gas just ran out the bottom of the pump while the car was running
Thus he was told bad pump
I got there and found all the rubber connecting lines were rotten and I replaced them all -draw,return,feed.
Not a damn thing happened when I tried to start it after replacing the lines.
I pulled the lines off again and pulled the pump. It was full of ****ty gas.
Two weeks later, I finally have a pump and have installed it. (The cam is pushing the rod btw)
Ecstatic I was done and I tried to start it
Not a drop of gas.
Thats it start to finish
Thanx

Old 01-24-2007, 02:09 AM
3rd Gear Member

Hope you get it going. Come down to Sunset Dragstrip this summer and http://www.freepowerboards.com/sunse...rip/portal.phpand have some fun my 79 and my buddies 79 will be there along with daZ28s third gens(I think they are up to 3 now) going to be a busy place since quaker city is up for auction. And by the way I would think about getting some snow tires on it if you are coming soon...good luck..

Old 01-24-2007, 02:01 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jxdesign

I pulled the lines off again and pulled the pump. It was full of ****ty gas.
Two weeks later, I finally have a pump and have installed it. (The cam is pushing the rod btw)
Ecstatic I was done and I tried to start it
Not a drop of gas.
have had 3 different vehicles over the years with that problem..It was the in tank fuel sock every time..it had collapsed and clogged full of junk from the tank and was choking off the fuel. Pull the tank and rip off the sock.Clean the tank and install a pre pump filter (clear plastic one works the best). then figure on changing it every once in a while.

Greg

Old 01-24-2007, 02:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I was afraid you were going to say drop the tank.
I havn't done that in 20 years.
I will check it out and see if it is something i want to do or not. Thanks for the tip.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:37 PM
3rd Gear Member

Going back to the beginning a bit and try to cover the bases.... When you had the fuel line detached from the carb did you have someone turn over the engine over to see if it was pumping?

Old 01-25-2007, 03:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes

After I installed my new pump I left the line to the carb disconnected and held the line while someone cranked the motor. Nothing ever came out. NowI have a 2 gallon gas can under the hood with a fuel line coming from it down into the pump.I held the carb line once again, and had someone crank. Still no gas. I pulled the carb line off the bottom of the pump last nite for a minute and gas drained out of the pump on top of me, so some gas got in there from the tank at some point. This was before I even hooked it up to the gas can. I really do not want to pull this pump again. Before I put it on I held the pushrod up against the cam while someone bumped the motor for me. The cam pushed it up and down.
What am I missing?

Old 01-25-2007, 04:18 PM
1st Gear Member

sounds like a cracked or pinched fuel line suckin in air

Old 01-25-2007, 04:58 PM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if you had a gas can hooked up to it and it still didnt pump gas and your sure the pump rod was moving up and down with a good stroke,then all it could be is the pump.it's not rare to buy a brand new bad pump.i'm not sure what the lift is on the fuel pump lobe but i'm sure its got to move 1/8" to1/4" atleast.

Quick Reply: 79 Z28 fuelpump pushrod dropped (how do I raise it?)