79 Firebird...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 09:08 PM
Default 79 Firebird...

Ok, I know this is a Camaro Forum and I apologize ahead of time but couldn't find a decent Firebird Forum If I am out of line by posting this, let me know I will gladly delete it. I didnt think there would be a problem with this since the Firebird and Camaro are so close...

Anyways I am looking at a 1979 Firebird Formula for sale. The guy wants to sell it for 2 reasons (1) he doesnt have the time or money to restore the thing and (2) his kid is about to turn 16 and doesnt want to chance death to his family...lol but true...

Here is the low down of what I know. The car has a 430 CI Oldsmobile motor in it. Newly rebuilt Auto tranny (2 or so years). 110K miles on it. Doesn't burn any oil but does have a few drips on the concrete in the garage every now and then. Frame looks to be SOLID and the body has a few blemishes on it some surface ruse on a rear quarter patch panel and a small rust hole through one of the front fender patch panels. Does have some nicks and scratches on the paint here and there.

The interior needs some work. Driver seat is ripped, some of the panels are worn, the doors need the most work with 1 needs a new door handle assembly as it cant be opened from the outside (someone tried to break into it as the door lock piece fell out of it too), Door panels need replacing and door hinges could use a replacement as well.

The Heater core is leaking very slightly and the rear brake line needs to be replaced. The T-Tops are in EXCELLENT condition and dont leak in the rain... however if you go to a high powered automatic car wash they will leak a bit...

I test drove it and the car runs GREAT... and Hauls (you know what) when you punch it.

Here are some photos, let me know what you think and insight, questions, comments, concerns... all welcome... I can pick it up for 3400 bucks...

Ps. Ignore the Metallica Sticker as the guys kid put it there to cover the rust hole...

Thanks again guys!

Old 07-22-2007, 02:09 PM
May 2007 ROTM
Default RE: 79 Firebird...

Welcome, I think it's a good looking car. For 3400 I would buy it in a heart beat....Parts for these cars are cheap as hell, so no matter what as long as it runs it can be fixed.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:02 PM
1st Gear Member

I would buy it

Old 07-23-2007, 07:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Buy Buy Buy

then say

Bye Bye to everthing except a gas station.

G