79 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 06:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 79 camaro

i live in ny and bought a 79 camaro for $300. its in amazing condition. one problem... it has a salvage title on it. there was a small fire under the hood that melted most of the wireing and the vacuum lines. i got it running but none of the guages work and doesnt run very well becouse of the lack of vacuum. i am just wondering what needs to work and what doesnt need to work for the salvage inspection. i dont want to spend alot of money to get it all working when its all just going to be wripped out and redone after. some people tell me that its not going for a saftey inspection and they are just checking for stolen parts and some others tell me that everything needs to be in operating conditions. i just want to know what needs to be done!!! thanks.. sorry for the long story.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Overdrive Member

Post us a pic of under the hood. You didn't give much info on what comdination was under the hood. As for the inspection I can't speak on that we don't get any inspections what so ever here.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I'd recommend contacting the state of NY and just ask what they want to get the salvage title cleared.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Overdrive Member

Or title it in Michigan then title it in NY. OOPS did I just say that.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:33 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
I'd recommend contacting the state of NY and just ask what they want to get the salvage title cleared.

There's a few members on here from NY that might be able to help you. I know here in NC anything over 35 years doesn't need an inspection and anything over 12 years only needs a safety inspection (tires, windshield, lights, etc.).

A vacuum leak should be dealt with and fixed though. I would check for the basics such as brake booster, PCV feed and distributor vacuum canister to the carburetor. If those are good then cap off anything else and that should help the car run a little smoother. I might be missing a vacuum connection off the top of my head right this second though as I am not thinking 100% clearly due to medication. If it has an AIR system for emissions then I would check that also but I have no idea how that is connected up.

If you want to take some pics of the engine from the front, pass side, driver's side and rear that would be great to give us an idea of what you're working with and looking at.

Good deal for finding a running Camaro for 300 bucks btw. That's pretty awesome.