79 base camaro wont crank

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 01:54 PM
Default 79 base camaro wont crank

Hey im new and i bought a 79 camaro with a 305 and th350 auto and it cranked fine and now it wont crank at all......all lights work.....when i turn the key over the starter engages but it wont turn all connections are good.......could it be a dead battery? Any replies r appreciated

Old 02-16-2018, 08:46 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

You say the starter engages, how do you know?
Are you saying the starter spins the motor but it doesn't start or the starter will not spin the motor over at all? Does the starter spin but doesn't engage the flywheel ring gear or does it engage but can't turn the motor?
Can you spin the motor by hand?
Does it go "click click" and not turn the motor?
That could be it's not getting full power even if the battery is good, very common problem that the cables/terminals just need to be cleaned.
Could be a bad solenoid or a weak battery or a bad starter but do the simple things first. Take the cables off and clean them and the terminals with a wire brush and make sure the ends on the starter are clean and tight too.
Sometimes a weak starter will stick, a few taps on the case with a hammer can break it loose, if that does the trick it's time for a new starter.
Have you tried putting jumper cables on it? If your headlights are bright the battery should be ok but sometimes a jump can wake up a weak starter. These things are hard to diagnose online. If I were a betting man since you say "all lights work" and starter engages but doesn't turn I'd bet on a bad starter. One word of advice, late 1970's Chevy starters are a crap shoot to get one that fits right, they often need shims and yours may have shims in it already. It can be a big headache if you buy a rebuild or new starter and find out it grinds or doesn't engage the flywheel correctly. If you need a starter I would suggest paying close attention to shim placement when you pull it off and having the starter you have rebuilt at a shop that does starter and alternator rebuilding and get yours back not a replacement because you'll know it fits.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:15 PM

I have about the same issue. When I start the car, it starts right up. I can drive it less than three miles. Turn it off, and then need to wait about 45 minutes. Or when I hop in and turn the key, everything comes on but the car will not even turn over until it cools down fully. Starter is working, wrapped the muffler to prevent heat from getting to the starter, clean battery cables, made sure all connections were good. What can I try now. Bought this car, and under the dash it is bowls of spaghetti. Working through the wires and have all of the gauges working.. Would my best bet to be putting in an PMGR or try a new ignition switch?

Old 04-30-2019, 09:00 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Sounds to me like the starter is getting hot. I would replace it and wrap the pipe that goes past it. Usually waiting has no effect on the starter switch. You can also jump the pins on the solenoid and bypass the switch and connections and see if the starter cranks the car when hot. Then you know for sure what it is... My guess is that it has gotten some oil in it and it has broken down some of the insulation, so when it gets hot, the wires expand ever so slightly and no work no more until it cools down.

best way is to use a remote starter button, but a screwdriver will work as long as you dont short it across ANYTHING else... Jump the top, or MAIN large battery terminal to the right side start wire terminal. it will make a spark, but bypasses the switch and everything else... OBVIOUSLY make sure the car is not in gear!
If the engine rolls over, then yes the switch of wire connections are bad. if it still does NOT crank then replace the starter.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:51 AM
2nd Gear member

I had this issue in my 1979 Z-28 and other cars with headers, I went to a Tilton style starter with a Moroso Starter heat shield .And with a supercharged small block ,I don`t have any issues,

Old 04-30-2019, 03:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Hey ZSpoiler good to see you over here... yeah the mini starters and a heat shield would definitely solve the issue.

Old 04-30-2019, 03:45 PM
2nd Gear member

I used a heat sleeve on the wiring harness as well to protect it.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:15 PM

Looks like the starter maybe the issue, will try cross starting it. Good thing this is a project, and in no rush. This one has me baffled. Thanks guys. I will let you know the results.