78 z28 shell-should i buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Y2K
Good eye,didn't catch that the first go round.
I'll bet someone pulled one of those Olds 403's out of a late 70's Pontiac TransAm,tranny and all for a transplant into the Camaro.
Simple swap if you have a donor car.
That would also explain where the 400 turbo came from.

sooo is it worth the 500? idk much about these style cars. im more of an import guy but have always liked this style camaro.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:43 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I'd say it's worth it. Engine and wheels alone are worth more than that.
It wouldn't hurt to look under the car real well so you know what you're getting into though. Having been sitting on the open ground for who knows how long could have done some serious rust damage to the body, frame, floors, gas tank, brake lines, etc.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:46 AM

he said its been sitting one or two months. but idk if thats true since he doesnt even know what he has. and at first he said it didnt have an engine at all. >.<

Old 06-28-2009, 02:02 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

One or two months...yeah right. The tires are sunk into the ground and starting to take root.
It looks like he has quite a vehicle garden growing there.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 06-28-2009 at 02:04 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:28 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Camaro 69 has given you very good info. I just wanted to say I agree its worth the $500. You are most likely going to have a mess where the motor mounts are as they would have had to weld new ones if you want a chevy motor. These cars have floor rusting issue even when they are not parked in the grass, even in the non-snow areas. If you are just going to patch it up and run it for a few years this could work out for you. If you are looking for a car to fix up real nice and keep for a long time, keep looking.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:48 AM
Default rally sport

Was looking at pictures again if you look at driver side fender you can see rally sport wrote on the fender.Know how money is have none.I have 5000 in motor alone in my 77,Just wanting something different i have personally owned over 300 cars and have never been a car dealer, but im just a little older than you.48 good luck on purchase and rebuild,I have 2 parts cars you need any parts just shoot me a email

Old 06-28-2009, 09:04 AM
In the Staging Lanes

if it only needs a smalle fix then why would he sell it to you for cheap.and it is a rally sport.in mint cond they only sell for 4500-5000.you will put way more then that into it and the rims dont match.the car has been there a long time.whate if you but it and find out it need a motor or trans just to paint a car now a days is very pricey i would save my money and by a nicer one

Old 06-28-2009, 10:39 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
You are most likely going to have a mess where the motor mounts are as they would have had to weld new ones if you want a chevy motor.

Are you sure? wouldn't the mounting hardware from a same vintage Olds powered TransAm make that a bolt in operation?
The Pontiac Firebirds of that vintage were Chevy small block powered except the 403 Olds powered TA.
Anyway,I think the car is worth $5 bills,even if you just part it out.
If you can get it up and running on the cheap and clean it up a bit you could flip it for a profit and buy something else a little better.
Making this car real nice as pointed out in other posts would get pretty spendy,going that route would have to be a labor of love and the car a keeper,you'd never get your money back out of it.

PS:......offer the dude less,maybe wave $300 under his nose.
Worst he can do is say no and you could counter with another offer,don't act overly interested,you already know he'll take $500 right.

Last edited by Y2K; 06-28-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Y2K
Are you sure? wouldn't the mounting hardware from a same vintage Olds powered TransAm make that a bolt in operation?
The Pontiac Firebirds of that vintage were Chevy small block powered except the 403 Olds powered TA.
You are 100% right. Those parts should exist. I have never put a Olds engine in a Camaro. I did put a Rocket 350 in a 84 monte. We had to make the motor mount. Now that I think about it I should been able to get the mounts out of a cutlass. I guess we where a little quick with the cutting torch and welder

Old 06-28-2009, 02:45 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member
Wink

Originally Posted by Gorn
You are 100% right. Those parts should exist. I have never put a Olds engine in a Camaro. I did put a Rocket 350 in a 84 monte. We had to make the motor mount. Now that I think about it I should been able to get the mounts out of a cutlass. I guess we where a little quick with the cutting torch and welder

Thanks,I guess I'm not as dumb as I look lol.

Quick Reply: 78 z28 shell-should i buy?