'73 Straight V6 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 05:22 PM
Default '73 Straight V6 won't start

Sorry if this has been posted here before. I'm new to the website. I picked up a '73 last year and have been working on it since. The guy I bought it from said that the last time he had it running wasn't that long ago before I bought it. The wiring to the starter was bad so i replaced the starter and I will soon be redoing the one wire that was ruined (sorry don't know exactly what wire it is). I can connect jumper cables from the (-) terminal to the bad wire and get my headlights, break lights, and my temp and oil light on, on the dash. When i try to start the car nothing happens. Engine doesn't turn over and there isn't a click. Does anybody have any suggestions on what might be wrong and what I could do solve the problem? Thank very much!!

Attached is a picture of the starter and wiring

Old 05-30-2018, 06:10 PM
4th Gear Member

A beginning point, would be in attaching the positive battery cable to the lone single stud on solenoid.
Also, the big gauge red wire should have a new length of wire soldered to it, shrink sleeve over the solder joint in protecting from shorting against the block, and attach same red wire to single stud on solenoid.
Also, remove both ends of negative cable and clean both the terminal and the surface the terminal touches, and reattach.
Fresh battery in place, and should be good to go.
You might buy a Haynes manual for the Camaro as it will help you.
Best tool for the tool box.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:17 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Everett#2390
A beginning point, would be in attaching the positive battery cable to the lone single stud on solenoid.
Also, the big gauge red wire should have a new length of wire soldered to it, shrink sleeve over the solder joint in protecting from shorting against the block, and attach same red wire to single stud on solenoid.
Also, remove both ends of negative cable and clean both the terminal and the surface the terminal touches, and reattach.
Fresh battery in place, and should be good to go.
You might buy a Haynes manual for the Camaro as it will help you.
Best tool for the tool box.
What he said ........but man that old solenoid looks pretty nasty, think I'd be getting a new one even if it does work.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:01 PM

Yea I bought a new starter for it and got it mounted today. This was a picture from when I first bought it. I have been planning on getting some wire to finish that connection! Thanks for the help and suggestion! Thanks for the heads up on the book I really need to get one of those!