73 parts into a 78 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Default 73 parts into a 78 camaro

hi all .
i am new to this forum , i live in southern england .
been into camaros since the mid 1980s and i have a 1973 camaro which i used to drag race but its body has rotted out in the years since .

have just bought a 78 camaro rolling car with a restored body which needs the interior and glass etc fitting .

the dashboard was removed from the 78 car and has a sheetmetal dash at present but i want to take it out and fit a standard factory dash in there .

will the dashboard from my 73 camaro fit into the 78 body ?.

i also want to change the electric window winders in the 78 doors for manual winders from my 73 car, will the 73 winders and glass fit the 78 doors ok ?? .

i have a complete car in the 73 model but it is so rusty at the rear of body there is no way it will rebuild , so i want to use it for parts for the 78 camaro .

i have a full glass fibre front on the 73 camaro , and a hood with an aero scoop .

i think i am right in thinking that the hood from the 73 will fit straight onto the 78 body .

also i have a 10 bolt posi in the 73 car with 4.11 richmond gears and a c-clip eliminator , i am going to put this in the 78 camaro , it should fit ok ?? , has the early smooth brake drums on the 73 axle but finned drums on the 78 .

i was thinking of fitting a disc brake conversion to the rear but dont know if it will fit with the c-clip eliminator kit thats on there .

i think the disc conversions are expensive and so i may just stick to standard drums and shoes .

will the 73 propshaft fit straight onto the 78 car , both have th350 boxes and 10 bolts .

am going to build it for street/strip use .

sorry for too many questions at once , i guess what im asking is what parts from the 73 car will fit the 78 .

its a pity i cant rebuild the 73 car because its my baby , but im afraid its been sat outside for just too long .
but all is not lost and i have the 78 car which will bring my chevy days back to life again :-))

im looking for the aluminium mouldings that surround the frotn and rear screen, but also need new clips and i see that in the body the pins to hold the clips have been removed, with just small holes showing .

can i buy new pins to go into the body to hold the moulding clips in ??? , how are the pins fitted [rivet or screw??] .

does anyone know a restoration parts supplier that sells all the trim mouldings and clips and pins that i need , online ?? and who will sell and send parts to me in england please ?

i can make new pins on a lathe if i absolutely have to but wanted some advice first and maybe someone can give me more info aboutthe pins and clips and mouldings before i start straining my eyes looking at hte pc monitor all night for parts :-0

thanks .

ian

Old 05-03-2008, 06:26 PM
May 2007 ROTM
Default RE: 73 parts into a 78 camaro

ok.. thats alot to sift through.
Welcome to the forum.. online parts guys. www.yearone.com
http://www.classicindustries.com/
http://www.nationalpartsdepot.com/
These are some of the better sites. Hope this helps some.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:04 AM

ok great , thanks
thats a nice catalog on the nationalpartsdepot site .
still cant find any body pins for the moulding clips to fix to .
maybe they are installed at factory and never supplied as spare parts .
the guy who sold me the half finished car has probably took all the pins off with an orbital sander when he did the body .
but at least i know what they look like from my 73 camaro body shell .
not sure i can pull them out of my 73 shell and fix into the 78 body, they are so tiny .

chances are if i try to weld them in i will just burn them straight away .

am trying to work out how the factory fitted the pins in the first place .

other than that i wil have to screw or rivet the clips on and then seal it over with poly sealant so the water cant get in .

cheers
ian

Old 05-04-2008, 08:21 PM
May 2007 ROTM

Do you mean for the trim around the windows?

Old 05-06-2008, 07:32 AM

yes thats the part .

its a stud to hold the molding trim clips .

i have found a couple of places that sell screw in studs which i think can be used as replacements and have seen someone mention about some AUVECO rivet in studs#18260 but i dont know where to buy these from ..

all i have is a series of holes in the body recess all around the edges of the front and rear glass [windshields] and i need to buy some studs to go in the holes so that i can clip the moldings in place , ie the alloy trim surrounding the glass in the front and rear .

i guess when the guy sanded down the body and filled it etc he sanded all the studs off , or knocked them out , so i am left with no studs at all front or rear .

ian

Old 05-06-2008, 07:44 AM
May 2007 ROTM

oh.. wow, that can be a problem. I would guess the only way would be to rivet the clips on.... that would be a hard spot to weld in..
or drill and use small sheet metal screws, and then tack the underside of the screw....if the window is out of the car.