72 and 79

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Default 72 and 79

i want to fix up 72 camaro's front end suspension, and this guy is selling his 79 camaro to my cheap, i was wondering if the parts from the 79 is interchangeable with the 1972 camaro, and im talking about everything, the all the control arms, springs, calipers, ect. excluding the hood and fenders.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: 72 and 79

"all" the parts are not interchangeable. For one, the knuckles and wheel bearings are different, but the knuckle will interchange as long as you use 79 wheel bearings instead of 72. A few minor differences like that, but can easily be worked with. I assume the 79 suspension is in good working order and doesn't need an overhaul; otherwise, you wouldn't be much better off than just overhauling your existing 72 suspension, since they are so similar. If you're just swapping everything over onto your frame, be warned this is not the easiest suspension to just take apart. You'd actually be better off swapping complete subframes. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think the only interchange problem you'll run into is the 72 frame has round holes for the bolts for the core support where the 79 frame has square holes for carriage bolts and a nut tightened from the top. Bumper mount holes *may* be slightly different, but easy to fix.

If you plan on a complete overhaul, those control arm bushings are some kind of animal. I've got a 40 ton hydraulic press in the garage, but if I had to do it again I think i'd just take it somewhere.