400 sbc

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 08:04 PM
Default 400 sbc

Anyone have a 400 sbc? I can get a good deal ona block that has never been bored out. It is a 2 bolt. Is this a good candidate for a stroker buildup? I've heard2 bolts are stronger than the 4 bolts for the 400 sbc, which is exactly opposite than in the 350 world.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:03 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: 400 sbc

The webbing was made thinner in the 400 the outside bolts go into the thinner webbing supposedly making it weaker Ive gone round and round with this with different machinests some say they would still run the 4 bolt over the 2 bolt unless you splay the two bolt into a 4 bolt. And someengine builders will be hard pressed to use a factory400 block at all. Is your block a good canidate for a stroker the answer is it might be but you will need to spend money for cleaning, magnefluxing and sonic checking there will be quite abit of machining involved especially clearancing for the longer stroke. Ive built a couple of 400s I have one now to put in the carI feel I would have been loads better off of I used a aftermarket block. Ive said this before if you are going through the expense of stroking clearancing and splaying buy a dart block I would bet if you added up all the machining costs it would only cost $700 to $800 more or maybe even less and you will have a vastly superior engine. I havnt stroked the factory 400 but I wonder if you could even clearance it enough they move the cam location up in the block some on the aftermarket block for clearance I would do some research on this point first.