1981 z28 dash lighting issues, help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 08:19 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I kinda figured, I know however that the 1979-81 dashes are different, and of course the 81 has the check engine light in it, but that's just coming out of the harness, so didn't figure that it'd be an issue...

Old 08-18-2013, 08:36 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

You may need a new cluster, but I seriously doubt the cluster is causing the issues you're having. And I sure wouldn't put in a new one until you've got the wiring issues sorted out.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:31 AM
In the Staging Lanes

When you state the whole cluster, are you referring to the entire gauge cluster, or just the printed circuit?... All the gauges appear to work properly except for when the right turning signal's engaged, then the tach and temp gauge bounce up with each flicker... When you turn on the lights, I think they still work fine, but there's just no instrument illumination on the entire right side... And once again, when I turn the headlights on, they stay lit for a few seconds, then they start flashing on and off for some weird reason... I have already replaced the entire turn signal switch/harness and put in a new headlight switch just to be on the safe side...lol

Old 08-20-2013, 11:42 AM
2nd Gear member

I would check all your wiring, you seem to have a short some where.and not necessarily the circuit board. Check all connections all the way to the lights themselves. you may of pinced a wire during the rebuild.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:11 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Well I went ahead and purchased a new printed circuit since most people are figuring that it's the culprit... But while I have the entire dash back apart I will be sure to check all associated wiring for any clues... Any other parts or harnesses that I should be specifically checking?...

Old 08-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

If you have the printed circuit board out, then inspect the wiring harness for any physical damage externally. Look for spots where it might be rubbing, or damage to the outer wrap. Follow it everywhere you can see it, and make sure it's clear of any sharp edges.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:48 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Alright, well pulled the printed circuit and there was a gap in one of the circuits, so replaced that and bam, all dash lights and turning signals work properly again... Second question, it however didn't eliminate the headlight issue... I installed a new set of the projector headlights, so that might be part of it right there even though they're supposed to be plug and play... Anyways, turn on the headlights and they work great, but start the car up, give it a few seconds and they start flashing, I've checked all the wiring that I can see and everything appears to be in great shape, any ideas what may be causing this?...

Old 08-30-2013, 08:39 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by TURBOSCHILZ
Alright, well pulled the printed circuit and there was a gap in one of the circuits, so replaced that and bam, all dash lights and turning signals work properly again... Second question, it however didn't eliminate the headlight issue... I installed a new set of the projector headlights, so that might be part of it right there even though they're supposed to be plug and play... Anyways, turn on the headlights and they work great, but start the car up, give it a few seconds and they start flashing, I've checked all the wiring that I can see and everything appears to be in great shape, any ideas what may be causing this?...
Either headlight switch, or dimmer. Both are in the circuit, so I'd start with the dimmer, (if it's still on the floor in an '81?) as it's cheaper and easier.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:53 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I didn't even consider the dimmer switch, otherwise, I've already replaced the headlight switch as it was loose and while it was out, might as well... Alright, I'll try replacing the dimmer switch and see if that works... If it doesn't, is there anything else it could be?...

Old 08-30-2013, 10:49 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Alright, I'm looking at the dimmer switch, appears to be fine, works as it should, wires look good... When I unplug one of the headlights, the other one won't start flashing and vice versa, it appears to only be when they're both plugged in, doesn't matter if the cars started or not, when they're both plugged in, after about 12 seconds, they start to flicker on and off with no regular pattern, just randomly, and if I didn't know better, the longer they're left on, the less and less they'll actually stay lit... Any ideas, or do you still recommend replacing the dimmer switch?...

Quick Reply: 1981 z28 dash lighting issues, help!!!!