1979 Camaro Rust Repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2022, 03:56 PM
Default 1979 Camaro Rust Repair

Hey guys, recently picked up a 79 Camaro and just got it tore down looking for rot, got a few spots I was wondering if they make patch panels of any sort for or if it’s repairable? Can’t seem to find anything online similar. They are the bottom rear fender mounts, a small bit of the inner roof near the windshield and the rear inside of the door jambs.

Thanks in advance

Old 06-02-2022, 09:33 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The only rot I think I see is by the non-factory sun roof. But that could just be mostly paint peeling. I am not aware of anyone reproducing the inner roof support on these cars. I think you would just need to patched it. That assumes structure has enough metal left to weld to. I would guess most of that rust would be caused by that sun roof. Are you getting rid of the sun roof. You may need to track down a donners that did not have a sun roof added.

I use Ricks or a local guy who can find anything for panels. Its been awhile since I did any work on a second gen.

Maybe it is the pictures but I don't see anything else I would replace. Just kill the rust and treat it so it never comes back. I do not see anything that looks like it would effect the structure of the car.

Process
Remove seam sealing and paint.
Convert rust to ferrous oxide(rust) to black oxide.
Seal Black oxides so they can not convert back to rust.
Reapply paint and seam sealer

If you skip a step the rust will come back if you do it as directed the only one that will ever know of this repair is the next guy that restores it 50 years from now.

Any Automotive store that sells paint supplies will have what you need or you can go to Eastwood.com and search for Rust converter and Rust sealers. Epoxy primer/sealer will seal the rust also. Most primers will not work as a sealer. A good epoxy primer sealer will add life to your restoration over the whole car.

There are people out there that will tell you you do not need to convert the rust, just nock it down and seal it. That might work but rust holds in moisture (black oxide does not) and will continue to grow until it runs out. If that growth crack the sealer now air and moisture can get in, it will still slow the rust process but it will be rusting.

Old 06-03-2022, 01:37 PM
2nd Gear member

These cars were built for around 11 years..So places like Goodmark Hemmings Motor News .and others should have them .As well as wrecking yards,and swap meets .Its also better to start with a good body then there is less work involved like I did in my 1979 Z*28.