1978 LT 305 starter replacment

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 11:19 AM
Default 1978 LT 305 starter replacment

I need to replace my starter in 1978 camaro lt with 305. It has the standard AC Delco starter with 2 wires contacts. The one from battery with one addition wire from tube and a second contact with "S" label. All new starters i am finding have 3 contacts one for battery and one labeled "R" and one "S". I am unable to figure out how to wire this right. I tried wiring like original two to the larger battery contact and other to the "S" contact nothing to the "R" contact that does not work. I tested voltage and am getting proper voltage. Please let me know if anyone can help. Sorry i am newer to this kind of work and don't know a ton about the electrical system on this.

Old 10-25-2021, 08:21 PM
4th Gear Member

If you still have the one you took off I'd get it rebuilt at a shop,Chevy starters are notorious for fitment issues with the flywheel.
Shims for one ,might not fit right with a new one,just my 2 cts.

Old 10-26-2021, 01:24 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Just FYI The S is for starter wire, It is correct to use that one. The R connection is for Pre1975 cars, it supplies and extra boost of power to the ignition system while the starter is cranking on pre HEI ignition. It does not hurt anything by being there but on a 78 it should not be connected to anything.

Did you hear anything the first time you tried the starter? as said above shim are sometimes needed but your should have heard a click if the over running clutch jammed. You should also hear a hum when you try to start it.

Voltage check should be done while you try to start the car. There are issues that will test fine with no load on the battery. Remote starter is a good test. If you did the voltage test while it was cranking next would be a starter bench test. If bench test fails its the starter and it works its the adjustment talked about above. All of the topics can be seen on Youtube. Search "TESTING STARTER" "BENCH TESTING STARTER" "ADJUSTING SBC STARTER" "USING A REMOTE STARTER"..

Old 10-26-2021, 01:31 PM
Default Starter is good

Ok then it’s something else I cleaned starter up and put a jumper switch on it and it cranks engine turns fine. But key does nothing I tested starter wire and I get no power on it when I turn key. Tried tracing wires found one cut I jumped and still nothing from key. Can someone provide the loath from ignition to the starter so I can start tracing all the way? I did test nuetral safety switch that is good as well.

Some pictures below I believe in 3rd picture that is the starter wire that was cut maybe for a kill switch jumped and still nothing from key. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Old 10-26-2021, 05:15 PM
2nd Gear member

That is a very bad and scary wiring jog .You could burn up your car the way it is now.

Old 10-26-2021, 06:36 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Zspoiler
That is a very bad and scary wiring jog .You could burn up your car the way it is now.
I was kinda shaking my head looking at that too.

Old 10-26-2021, 07:49 PM

That’s just what I found it was I’m guessing a kill switch wire tapped in originally. I thought maybe that was why it doesn’t crank when I turn key but that made no difference. I put a wire conduity checker on the S wire at starter and checked to the split wire and it’s good so something from where it’s joined to inside to the column is bad. I am going to connect those wires properly once I’m ready. Does anyone know where that wire goes once it comes into the firewall? I don’t see that orange brownish wire anywhere under dash. I need to trace it to find the other break that has to be somewhere. Only other thing I can think of is would the cluster being out cause it not to crank? Dash doesn’t have that or any accessories connected yet. Please help if anyone can. I am trying to take over from my dad he got it back right before he passed away so he took it apart to start restoring then passed away so it wasn’t finished I’m not sure what I’m missing. It did run fine before he pulled dash apart.

thank you